71- Cai Takes A Trip To Death Valley

Cai

Cai

"Well, do we just go straight there? Or do we have to steal a car?" Nico asked as he, Will and I began to walk over the crest of Halfblood Hill, away from Camp Half-blood and from my mother.

"I think that I can get us near enough," I frowned, "why don't you two grab my shoulders?"

Will and Nico exchanged a glance, but did as I suggested, each of them putting a hand on one of my shoulders.

"This is strange," Will commented.

"Why?"

"Maybe because a few days ago you were a unborn baby," Nico offered.

"Oh," I frowned, "well, hold on tight. Let's go to California."

********

"I don't like doing that!" Will bent over double, holding his stomach after we arrived in California, "sweet Apollo it's hot!"

"I enjoy the heat immensely!" I smiled, brushing some dust from my shoulders.

"Where are we?" Nico didn't seem phased by the teleportation, I suppose it was because he was quite an accomplished shadow traveller himself. He was looking around the area that I had taken us to.

"I believe that the mortals call this place Death Valley," I smiled, looking around, trying to work out which direction the tree was in.

"You bought us to Death Valley!" Will demanded, "that's why it's so hot! We need to find some shade now!"

"No, we need to go this way!" I pointed in the direction that I sensed the life force of the tree. "We must hurry in order to save the tree."

"We also need to make sure that we don't get burnt alive by the sun," said Will, "you may be a god, but me and Nico aren't. We need shade."

"I agree with the doctor," said Nico.

"Well, I think that we need to find the tree!"

"Let's go over there," Will pointed in the opposite direction that I had sensed the tree in, "there's a bunch of trees there, we can take shade under them untill nightfall."

"No!" I insisted, "we cannot go to the tree after night fall."

"Well, I'm giving you an order, and as I'm the doctor here, I think that we should-"

"No!" I began to grow more impatient with Will's arguing. Didn't he understand what was at stake here?

"Come on Cai, us mortals need to take a break," Nico patted my shoulder, and began to walk away, Will followed him.

I let out an angry huff, and the air around me crackled, which make my hair stick up on its ends. Will and Nico began to disappear over a ridge, and I decided that I should follow them.

"I want you to know, that I do not agree with this decision!" I told them when I caught up.

"That's great," Will had set his duffle bag down in a shady spot, and was pulling out water bottles, "here," he handed one to Nico.

"Going to the tree after dark is suicide."

"Why?" Nico asked, "do you know something that we don't?"

"Yes. My mother believes that the person harming the tree is Nyx, therefore we must attack during the day!"

"You're not serious," Will gawped at me, "you want to take down a primortal? Just the three of us?"

"I know I can take her down," I said, gritting my jaw, "but not at night."

"You didn't tell us that it was Nyx," said Nico darkly, "if we're attacking a primortal that's all the more reason for us to take our time, stake it out. Make sure we don't screw this up!"

"We won't screw it up! I know what I'm doing."

"Cai, you're literally days old. You've never even met a primortal."

"Nyx is my grandmother, I can take her. I have to protect the tree, otherwise life itself may be in jeopardy."

So, after that cliffhanger at the end of the last chapter, there is exactly no resolution in this chapter! How do you think Cai will react to Ri's death when he finds out?
Remember to vote, comment and be amazing!
~Em xx