Chapter 1, Meeting Him Again

[UNEDITED]

[ 1 week before the contract gets signed ]

"He'll be here soon," Min Yoongi's mother sits across from me. I can see the sweat at her clammy hands from where I awkwardly slouch next to my parents. There is tension from all corners of the living room I'm forced to sit down in, waiting and waiting for my future fiancée.

My voice is small when I speak, "...if he doesn't want this, maybe we shouldn't-"

"Oh, no no. Of course he does," Min Yoongi's mother trails out. Her voice is slightly high from panic as she consistently looks to the house's door. I can see the man next to the distraught woman, Yoongi's father, also starting to get impatient as he types wildly into his cellphone. I presume they're trying to get hold of the man that is late for this anticipated meeting.

I sulk further. I want to tell them that I myself, am not ready. I myself don't want this. I myself, may be on the same boat as Min Yoongi who didn't even care to show up on time. I have a life of my own, I've built what I can on my own - but I guess none of that matters.

"And our girl here wants this as well," my mother lies, making me forcefully smile over at the parents that sit across from me. My dad laughs, agreeing with my mother, "Yes. We told her two weeks back and she was more than excited."

My nose scrunches at the memory of them telling me.
I was no way close to being excited, rather just consumed from shock.

.

"I...I've got a boyfriend! I can't just marry some idol because you two promised his family my hand when I was a child! I barely met him, he seemed more interested in his piano than me - or any other girl for that matter!"

My mother smiled, her eyes sparkling from worried hope. "But ah, you see! You used to love playing piano too! If I look back, it's obvious his love from piano probably started from seeing you play!" She claps her hands, begging with her eyes. "This is perfect! He's perfect for you!"

"I've got a boyfriend!" I yelled, my eyes starting to tear up. "I'm a 24 year old woman! I've been taking care of myself all these years, I don't need some rich boy to suddenly swoop me off my feet, I-"

"Don't be selfish," my father finally spits, angry, "We've got a great opportunity to have you married into a stable and rich household. You'll never have to worry again, nor will we have to be scared for you paying your house's fee alone. You'll have a husband to do it for you."

My chest flared, eyes weak, and jaw angry as it clenched.
At the end of all accomplishments, all I did for myself, in their eyes I'd always be a delicate flower that needed caring - I'll always be just a girl.

.

I jump away from my memories. Blinking and hearing my parents nervously chuckle, I notice my mother whisper down at me. "Aren't you happy about this?" she asks, and I stare at her smiling and trying to ease the tensions in the room.

About to say a flat-out, 'NO', my brave attempts are pushed underway when the door opens. His parents are already up to their feet, breathy chuckling, and mine follow as well. Now, everyone's on their feet apart for me. All I do is stick my head away from the shadow's of my mother's figure so I can see the distorted man who enters with an apology ringing off his tongue.

I hear the deep voice.
My heart shakes a little in my chest and I look away, like a child, I hide behind the shield of my mother's pants.

My chest is heaving, I look down to my thighs that are bare. I clutch them tighter together, my dress sinks at my chest the more I curl into a pathetic circle by my spine. My hair hides my face and I allow it, trying to stare at different aspects for escape, but failing when realizing that there is none other than one.