Chapter 12, Surprise At Home

[ YOONGI'S P.O.V. ]

"Do you want to leave your items in the car?" I ask softly, parking the vehicle and getting out to enter my childhood home.

Watching you follow me with a slight nod, your head is trailing on the ground, your makeup is retouched along with your bun that frames low on your head. Your neck is bare, your shoulders raining with goosebumps, and I watch; no longer caring to offer my jacket as we knock on the door.

"Whatever they put us through right now," I mumble slow, glancing over at you awkward, "Just go on with it...we'll be in Seoul soon enough, we'll be away from them."

I catch your eyes slowly look my way. You smile, nod your head, and then look forward shyly. I can't find myself to understand where this shyness stems from, but I play the conversations and events of today as an answer. Nibbling my inner cheek, I don't look at you again, not until the front door opens and our parents attack with urging tugs.

"Now, now," my mother props, pushing me back out. "As your wife, stepping inside a place should be special, isn't that right?" My mother nudges yours who nods with a large smile.

"What?" I question, not understanding what they were hinting at.

"Carry her in sweetheart."

As my mother says this, my brows jump just as quickly they furrow right after. I can sense you tensing next to me, but I don't spot over to check.

"Why? She's got two working legs."

"Tradition-"

"What kind of wasteful tradition-"

My words are swallowed when I feel your soft touch on my jacket's sleeve. Meeting your eyes, you whisper at me, "You were just saying to 'go on with' everything they had in store."

"Yeah, everything that wouldn't make my arms snap off," I mumble down at you, watching you get offended quick. I shuffle away from your touch, trying to come inside the house.

My mother blocks me, like a child she always seemed to be; I groan.

"Just do it." You whisper at my ear again. From the sounds of your voice, you seem scared for our mother's fragile reactions. This angers me. No backbone, weaker than mine in this moment, infuriates me.

"Have Icarus do it for you," I spit under my breath, "The man has practically claimed our wedding night anyway." The annoyance in my voice is clear to everyone who hears; so that only leaves you.

"I thought you said it didn't bother you..."

"It doesn't." My eyes are cold, mixed signals in the air.

With a hitching of breath from all the women around me, I squeeze and shove past, making it known I won't be carrying anyone past a threshold. Hands in my jeans, I watch you stumble past me. Our mothers are shocked, sad, but their smiles form once again as they point over to the hallways.

Stumbling in the both of us go, my eyes squint with difficulty when seeing the decorations all around. It's subtle and I almost smile at the sweet gesture, but considering the circumstances, my smile dies before it can even come to.

"Was this the surprise?" you ask gently, looking over the living room, the kitchen, and the hallways as we were directed forward.

"Not quite," my mother giggles, ushering her hands towards the backyard of the small home.

My head cocks in weird manners. I follow my mother, then yours. They block my views of what happens outside, but as I have my eyes adjust to the dimmed lighting in the back, my lips part. "Mom, wha..." I can't finish my train of thoughts.