Chapter 31, An Ugly Silence

The evening Min Yoongi messaged me, and I messaged back was the evening I called my best friend. I called Icarus. I cried and when he asked me, "Are you still in love with me?" I told him, "No." He said, "Good," and I could tell he was smiling in joy for me that night.

The days after that, he told me what he had been doing with his life. Icarus had a new job, a new apartment. He was dating a few women and searching for one to settle with. When I asked, "What's the hurry?" He chuckled and said, "I don't want another man taking her away." I snorted and rolled my eyes.

It wasn't until today. When I was crying shaking, and alone needing a friend. I called him again because I knew none other than Yoongi in the city. Sighing when Icarus's face lit up on the screen, a sense of relief stroked my inner walls of doubt. His smile was large when seeing me, he said, "We really shouldn't be talking this much." "I need a friend," I said. "Then go make some," he said. Just when I was about to laugh, my parents came and Min Yoongi's parents came. They saw Icarus, they saw my tears and my smiles. They jumped to conclusions and yelled for Min Yoongi who wasn't here. As they tried to snatch my phone and have my ears bleed from shouting. Scared and child-like, I called him. I called Min Yoongi.

"Hi, I love you, hi." My heart leaped when he said that. It really did. I wanted to say it back, I wanted to smile and tell him how adorable he was. But I did nothing but sniffle and hear a, "What's wrong?" To that I replied, "Please come home?"

He did come home. He came. Standing next to me with harsh eyes, a clench jaw, and body that shook with anger. Min Yoongi hears the yells and shouts that don't seem to stop. I was a crying mess earlier, but now a numbing infuriated body.

"You're married!" My mother shouted, crying and wanting to shake me dangerously, "What did we say about Icarus? This is wrong! If you wanted to cheat around behind your husband's back, maybe you shouldn't have said yes to the marriage in the first place." I didn't say yes.

My father, terrified of what was to come doesn't defend me, but defends the money he thinks he'll be losing. "Maybe we're jumping to conclusions. He was her best friend long before they got together, I'm sure it's nothing but a casual greeting." There's some truth to that.

"Casual greeting?!" Min Yoongi's father roars, "She was crying and smiling. Not to mention alone with my son not in the house? This is disgusting! Son!" He looks to Yoongi, eyes snapping away from me. "How could you let her step out of hand like that?" Really? They're blaming him for the call I made?

"Is this some sick joke to get back at us for putting the two of you together?!" His mother joins in. "Instead of being so childish, if the two of you aren't happy with one another than a divorce would suffice. Don't be wasting everyone's time in twisted games. Marriage isn't a joke!" Then why make it one?

"Divorce?" My father gasps. My mother cries, wailing as she sits on the couch. "No no," he panics, and I watch with no other emotion other than sadness. "We can't just have them separate! They're nearing their first year—" My mother interrupts my father, running to slap my cheek that already aches from earlier. This was her second time slapping me into silence.

Min Yoongi's head snaps when he sees it. I don't put the dots together, I don't see that this is the first he's seen me hurt this way. With a growl that leaves the back of his throat, his hand claps into mine and he takes me to stand behind him. "Don't fucking touch her," he spits, finally speaking into the tense air.

Everyone calms for a moment at that. Unexpected in their eyes, but not in mine. I lean my forehead tiredly in between his shoulder blades. My body is shaking in anger and I don't know why I can't speak. I don't know why I never can around these people...