Chapter 7: The Worst Night of the Year

~New Girl's POV~

I arrived at the school right on time. The last few weeks had gone by very fast. Nothing was really notable, just the same old things; the usual. I was wearing a cream colored dress with golden polka dots. I had beautiful gold eyeshadow to match my dress, along with a golden headband.

I walked into the gym and admired all of the festive decorations. I looked around, trying to find Dustin. Instead, I saw Mike, Maxine, Lucas, and Jennifer. I knew Lucas and Jennifer went together as a couple, and Maxine and Mike did too.

As I scanned the room, my eyes couldn't help but momentarily fall on Mike. There was something weird there, every time I looked at him. Whenever I tried to think about it, I would get another one of those horrible migraines. Those had become more common lately.

Mike was for once dressed nice, instead of like a gangster or a popular guy. His hair was combed out nicely, and his tie was neatly tucked. His brown eyes twinkled. He was just-

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to find Dustin, with his hair slicked back and in a nice suit and tie. He smiled at me.

All of a sudden, music began to play. A slow song. The song seemed fairly familiar as if I had heard it before. But, it was more than that. It almost brought back a memory-

Dustin's voice broke my train of thought.

"May I have this dance?" He asked, holding out his hand.

"Of course," I replied, taking it with a smile.

We both took off to the dance floor.

We started to slow dance. I glanced around to see everyone else. Will was off to the side giving us a thumbs up. I saw Lucas and Jennifer Hayes dancing together, and I watched as Maxine dragged Mike onto the dance floor.

I started to get a headache again. Something just didn't feel right. Dustin looked into my eyes with a warm smile. He began to lean in. I suddenly pushed away, leaving him a little flustered.

"I'm sorry, I need to get some punch," I said, quickly walking away.

I stood at the punch table holding a glass. I watched as Dustin walked over to Will, disappointed. I felt bad, but something told me not to continue dancing with him.

"Hey, New Girl!" I quickly turned to see Lucas, Mike, Jennifer, and Maxine approaching. I could already tell there would be trouble.

"I see you finally ditched the nerd," Jennifer laughed.

"I didn't ditch him!" I argued.

"Well, that's what it looked like," Mike stated.

These four just had to come over and bother me. They were getting me really angry. They always bothered me at school, at lunch, in class, and now at the school dance!

"Why can't you guys just leave me alone for once?!?!?!?" I yelled at them.

"Look's like someone's feisty," Maxine teased.

I approached her and gave her a little shove.

"What the heck is your problem?" She asked, firmly grabbing one of my wrists.

"Guys, let's not start-" Mike started.

"Shut up Michael!" Maxine yelled at him.

She twisted my wrist.

"What's this?" She asked, her finger pointing at the 011 on my arm.

I panicked and did the first thing that came to mind. I splashed the cup of punch I had, onto her and her pale blue dress.

"WHAT THE HECK! THIS DRESS IS SUPER EXPENSIVE YOU LITTLE BRAT!!!!" Maxine screeched. She went to the punch table, quickly got herself a cup, and splashed it all over my light colored dress and me.

"Stop it you two! The teachers will see us!" Mike scolded.

Lucas and Jennifer just started laughing.

"She started it! Did you see what was on her wrist? She's a weirdo! She ruined my beautiful dress!" Maxine hissed.

I quickly ran away, red punch dripping down my face along with tears. My favorite dress was now ruined, along with my pride. I ran out of the gym. It didn't look like anyone had followed me. I sat down next to the entrance. The dance wouldn't end for another hour or so. Hopefully, no one would see me out here.

My back was against the wall. I hugged my knees to my chest and cried. I heard the door open, but I didn't look up.

I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you alright?" A familiar voice asked. It was Michael Wheeler.

"Just, get away from me!" I yelled, standing up. I tried to run, but he grabbed my wrist.

"Can't you just leave me alone?!?!" I cried.

"Look, I promise I won't hurt you," He said.

Promise.

"I won't tell her about you. I promise."

"Promise?"

"It means something that you can't break, ever."

Something started coming back to me.

"Is everything ok? Are you sure?"

"Promise."

The memories that had caused me migraines and headaches slowly started coming back to me.

"We can go to the Snowball."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

I started remembering why everyone and everything felt so familiar.

"I can't lose you again."

"You won't lose me."

"Do you promise?"

"Promise."

The song too. I started remembering why it was so familiar.

"Do you want to dance?"

"I don't know how."

Suddenly, something snapped.

I realized I was in love with Michael Wheeler, the most popular boy in school.