Chapter 10: Busted Drinking Fountains

~Mike's POV~

The boys and I were talking, when Lucas suddenly stopped.

"Do you guys hear that?" He asked.

We all went quiet. At first, I didn't hear anything. After a while though, I heard quiet voices. I started to move toward the voices, the boys following me.

The voices sounded familiar.

"What really made me realize things had changed was Mike, at the school dance. He-" A girl said. She sounded like she was about to cry.

"El, are you ok?" 

The voices were coming from the side of the school.

"He-" 

"Hey, what are you two doing here, talking about Mike?" Lucas questioned.

The four of us found Will and that new girl. I think she said her name was Elle or something like that.

"Lucas, come on, don't you remember us?" Will asked.

"Remember you? You're that nerd that refused to do my homework!" Lucas said angrily, pounding his fist into his palm.

"They don't remember us, Will, remember?" The girl told him.

Suddenly, she turned to me. She looked at me for a split second, but it felt like so much longer. Her eyes were full of sadness and tears. Then, she quickly turned away.

"Well, if it isn't New Girl and Will!" Troy said.

He and Lucas approached the two, James and me slightly behind.

"Or as I like to say, Weirdo and Nerd!" Troy said, laughing. He shoved Will, which sent him stumbling backward.

"I have a name you know!" The girl yelled at him.

Troy went up to her and grabbed her by a scarf she had around her neck.

"Really? And what would that be?" He said, glaring at her menacingly.

"E-El," She croaked.

Troy shoved her away and started laughing.

"What do you say? How about we show these two a lesson?" James said to us all.

"No," El said.

Blood trickled out of her nose.

Suddenly, a nearby drinking fountain broke, spraying water into James, Lucas, and Troy's eyes. I didn't even get a single drop of water on me. Strange.

I watched as the two helped each other up, and ran.