Chapter 23: Incoming

Max's POV:

Lucas and I carried on toward the high school. There was an awkward silence between the two of us.

"So, apparently I wore heels and told people to call me 'Maxine' while I forgot who I was or whatever happened," I said, abruptly.

"What did I do?" Lucas asked me.

"You were one of the cool guys. You wore expensive clothing and hung out with Troy, James, and Mike," I told him.

"Wow," Was all Lucas mustered.

We continued in silence again. A few minutes later, we could finally see Hawkins High School ahead of us.

"We're almost there!" I exclaimed, pointing toward the high school.

"Uh oh, looks like we have trouble. Incoming, ten o'clock," Lucas whispered to me.

I looked to see Troy and James approaching us.

This was going to be interesting.

"Hey, we've been looking for you, Lucas, where have you been?" Troy asked. James followed not too far behind him.

Lucas and I just stood still, unsure of what to do next.

"Where's Wheeler? He was acting very strange earlier. One second Dustin and he were fighting, and the next he was running off into the woods. Is he okay?" James asked.

"Ok, I don't know what kind of game you're playing, but it's not funny," Lucas said, stepping toward them.

"Game? What do you mean 'game'?" Troy asked.

"Lucas! The whole town doesn't remember their true selves! Troy only remembers being friends with James, Mike, and you! In order for him to remember who he really is, you have to remind him!" I called to Lucas.

Lucas stood there for a second, trying to think of something to say. Finally, he turned back around to me. He had a perfect idea.

"Why try to get them to remember? They could help us!" Lucas whispered to me.

He walked forward again, only a few feet away from Troy and James.

"So, you said you've been looking for us, right?" Lucas asked.

"Yeah, we checked the whole school! We couldn't find you or Mike anywhere!" James exclaimed.

Well, now we knew Mike wasn't at the school.

"Would you mind helping us with something? " Lucas asked.