Chapter 9: Breaking Through The Fog

~El's POV~

It was Monday morning. I was waiting for Will by the bike racks. We needed to talk.

I waited about five minutes until I finally saw some bikes riding up. At first, I thought one of the riders was Will, but, as the bikes got closer, I realized none the riders were Will.

There were four bikes. The two in the back were James and Lucas. The two bikes in the front were Troy and Mike.

I didn't understand why those boys were at school so early. Will and I had specifically planned to meet early so no one else would be here. I knew I should hide. I didn't want them to see me.

Quickly, I walked to the side of the school building, where the garbage bin was. I sat behind there, trying not to make any noise.

I heard the boys approach nearby, at the bike racks. They were within earshot.

"I heard about the fight," Lucas said, nudging Mike with his elbow.

"What fight?" Troy questioned, looking at Mike.

"It's not important," Mike stated.

"Come on man, tell us. Please?" James pleaded.

"I heard that Mike's girlfriend got into a fight with the new girl at the school dance," Lucas said, smirking.

My heart sank at those words. I could still remember when I was reunited with Mike. He was so happy to see me. He had cared so much about me. Now, it seemed like he couldn't think less of me. It hurt me so much.

"She's not my girlfriend," Mike said.

"I feel like that new girl has caused nothing but trouble!" Troy exclaimed.

"Maybe we should do something about her," James responded.

I got really nervous. I did not want to have to deal with any of those boys. All of a sudden, a hand wrapped around my mouth. I wanted to scream, but I couldn't. I quickly turned to see Will. I felt sudden relief. Will put a finger up to his lips to signal me to be quiet. He then gave me a hand motion which meant for me to follow him. 

Quietly, we crept around the other side of the school building.

"What was that all about?" Will asked me.

"I think they're mad at me," I said.

"Oh, okay. I have a few questions about this whole situation we're in. For starters, does anyone else remember how things used to be, or should be?"

"I think's we're the only ones who know."

"How did you break through the fog? I mean, you know, how did you realize that things had changed?"

"Well, whenever I was around something or someone familiar, I would get a headache or a migraine."

"Wow, that's happened to me the past month several times. I didn't really think much of it."

"What really made me realize things had changed was Mike, at the school dance. He-" I croaked, trying to hold back tears.

"El, are you ok?" Will asked with concern.

"He-" I tried to continue, but was rudely interrupted.

"Hey, what are you two doing here, talking about Mike?" Lucas questioned.

Will and I turned to the four boys. They had found us.