Chapter 22: A Wrong Turn

Dustin's POV:

"Are you sure he's at his house?" Will asked me, as we walked through the forest.

"Well, I'm not sure of anything. I assume he would be," I replied. The two of us continued on through the forest.

"Are you sure this is the right way?" Will asked.

"You have a lot of questions," I replied. We continued on in silence.

A few moments later, Will spoke again.

"I thought we were supposed to turn left about fifty yards earlier," Will mumbled.

"Do you not trust me?" I asked. The two of us stopped, facing each other. Will refused to make eye contact.

"Will!" I shouted, rather annoyed.

"Ok, ok, sorry, it's just, I usually take Mirkwood when we meet up at Mike's house before going to the arcade. I know this trail very well, and I'm almost positive that we took a wrong turn farther back," Will sighed.

I took a deep breath in and out.

"I'm sorry Will. I shouldn't have snapped at you like that," I said. Will looked up and smiled.

"It's ok-" Will stopped abruptly.

"What is it Will? Is something wrong?" I asked him.

He looked downward with a look of terror plastered across his face.

"The ground," Was all Will mustered.

"What?" I asked, confused.

I looked down and saw what Will was talking about. 

All across the forest floor was a bluish blackish goop. It had a terrible stench too. Whatever it was, it was all over our tennis shoes.

I lifted my foot up and tried to get some of the goo off, but ended up tripping and stumbling backward.

"Dustin, look out!" Will shouted.

I tripped over a rock and landed in a hole. It was about ten to fifteen feet deep.

"Ouch," I said, rubbing my back.

I watched as Will came to the hole and looked down at me.

"Are you okay Dustin?" He asked, concerned.

"I think so," I replied.

"Ok, well, I'm coming down," Will said.

He jumped down and landed right next to me.

"Do you smell that?" I asked Will. 

"Yeah. I also hear noises. I think it's coming from this side of the tunnel," I said, pointing to the left. The two of us started walking in that direction.

We came to a large area in the tunnel. It had something on the ceiling that looked like the plant thing that sprayed me with those weird particles about a year ago. This one though, was a lot larger in size.

"Will, I recognize that. I wouldn't get too close to that if I were you," I told Will, but it was too late. He was already really close to it.

I cautiously walked up next to him.

"Come on Will, we should leave," I told him, but he was frozen and his face had a look of terror on it. He wasn't looking at the plant thing, but something next to the wall of the tunnel.

"What is it?" I asked him.

"I found Mike," Was all he could say before the thing showered us with a strange mist, and we stumbled backward, falling into the grasp of the vines.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you all so much for the positive feedback and encouragement, it really means a lot to me! I really appreciate it. I am so glad that you are enjoying the story so far! ~Rocky