Chapter eighteen: Fear

[6:30 am] 

Gerald return with the expression of frustration. He rub back of his neck and furrowing his eyebrows. 

I stand and ask, "What happen?" 

"Sadly, Superman doesn't want to cooperate with us. I have a feeling he has his run with the police before." 

"Can I talk to him?" 

"I'll ask my chief and see." 

The homeless man is in the room where there were camera pointing at corners of the room. He's handcuff sitting on the chair with his hands on the table. He has a paper cup of water. 
His eyes were looking down. 

He can't see us on the other of the window. 

Gerald is talking to chief to have permission to enter. By the expression and tone of their conversation, they wouldn't allow it because of my safety. 

"Please let me enter. I'm the one who request it," I said. 

Tasha looks at her chief, "We should let her in. He wouldn't speak with none of us. Since, he has some association with her. We can have information." 

"I'll be with her," Gerald said. 

The chief sighs, "fine. Gerald tell everything she needs to do and keep a close eye if anything goes wrong in there." 

The chief walks away going to the other room. 

"I'll be on standby," Tasha said. 

Gerald turn to me, "if things get too difficult, shout out a safety word call "apple cinnamon."

I nod my head.

We enter the room.

The homeless man look up and saw me. His eyes widen and he stood up.

"sit back down," Gerald said.

He look down in shame. He try to cover his face with his hair.

Gerald whisper to my ear, "sit down and try to warm up to him."

I sat down in front of the homeless man. he glance at me and back at his hand.

"Are you the one who saved me?" I ask.

.........

"I know, you're the one. I want to thank you ever since you save my life. I'm not mad at you or anything. I want to personally thank you."

He looks at me with the hazel eyes not taking his eyes away from me.

 He was staring at me and then tears falling upon his cheek that shock me. Gerald didn't move  from his spot. He lean against the wall watching how I make conservation. 

I turn to Gerald, "do you have tissues?"

Gerald digs in his pocket and takes out a wrinkled napkin. He gave it to me.

I was about to hand it to the homeless man, but he was handcuff.

"You don't mind, I wipe your tears for you," I said.

He leans in his face just slightly. I pat down his cheeks from his tears.

Awkward, but he seems rather lost.  

The homeless man put his hands to his lips and move it away. He repeats it three times. 

Then he put his hands over to his chest and circle it. 

"um....." 

I wasn't clear what he's doing nor Gerald. 

He did another hand movement. He close his fist, put two fingers cross then another slight close fist.