33: The Unknown

"Alright Mia, what's going on?" He asks the moment we step inside.

I slowly turn to face him and am met with a very intense stare. He doesn't look angry or annoyed just intense... very interested in what I have to say.

Once Harry is inside he lets the door swing shut behind him with a slam, making me jump. "Sorry," he mumbles as I wrap my arms around my chest.

"Love why are you so adamant to fight this?"

"Harry I don't feel like it's right for me to interrupt your family holiday," I start to explain as my heart rate starts to pick up.

Truth be told after last night I want to be with him but all I can see is every way this can go wrong and it's horrible.

He sighs, "love you wouldn't be interrupting anything, I want you there." He takes a few steps towards me almost like he wants to reach out but he stops himself.

That can't be good.

"Don't push me away."

"I'm not Harry," I say taking a step forward myself, my natural instincts telling me to go over and hold him but I stop myself, my own insecurities taking hold. "Just because I don't want to come to your christmas doesn't mean I don't want you as..."

As what?

I certainly don't want to assume anything, it's not in my nature to do so but after last night I can't help but feel a certain way about what's going on between us.

But what if I'm wrong?

"As what?"

I have no idea how to answer his question. From where I stand I'm just a girl, one of his friends but I also know Harry and I don't think he would make a move like the one he made last night frivolously.

"Mia... as what?"

His deep voice makes my soul shake. It's all consuming. How does he expect me to form a coherent thought when he's looking at me like that, all smoldering and confident and desirable.

Oh lord I can barely stand.

"I well I... Harry I don't know what you want me to say," I sigh.

"All I want is for you to tell me how you feel."

I think for a moment, even going as far as to open my mouth and speak but no words come out. Suddenly I'm paralyzed under his stare, the sincerity in his eye and the curiosity of what's going on in my mind.

How can I tell him? I want to tell him but the idea of being shut down by him is too hard to bare.

But it's Harry.

"I like you."

"Not very much for me to go on love." I can tell he's trying to make lite of this situation but there is something brewing inside him. "The way I like you."

YES!

I'm testing his patience and I wish I didn't have to but it's my first instinct and backtracking would be even worse.

And then again this is Harry freaking Styles and I'm just Mia. Of course I'm a bit apprehensive, not because of anything he's done, mind you, it's all on me.

"Harry you have to understand where I'm coming from."

"And where's that?"

"I'm me..."

At this he takes a step forward and yet still keeps a little distance. "Well I'm rather fond of you love."

My breath catches in my throat, my knees wobbling a bit, his eye catching the movement instantly.