62: The Art of Distraction

I've never liked hospitals. They have this weird clean smell and the harsh lighting that forces you to see the worst parts of yourself and then there is that distant sound of peril around every corner.

Mix it all together and you get a less than pleasant experience.

Having been on both side of this I'm not sure which is worse, being the patient or the one the one that sits outside the exam room waiting.

Both are horrid.

I just wish we didn't have to be here at all. I know that's a childish thing to say because nothing can be done but after such a wonderful day it's hard to end on this note. It's Christmas for goodness sake and yet the universe has come to the conclusion that this is where we need to be tonight.

Don't jump to conclusions, everything will turn out fine.

That may be so but that doesn't make any of this fair.

Anne doesn't deserve it. Robin doesn't deserve it. Gemma doesn't deserve it. And Harry doesn't deserve it. All I want to do is make it better somehow but the only thing I can do is sit here, holding Harry's hand as he bounces his knee up and down in a constant nervous repetition.

I have never seen Harry act like this for the entire time I've known him, but then again we've never been in this sort of situation. The stakes have never been this high.

He's afraid for his loved one and he's only got me to help, unfortunately.

We haven't said very much since we got here. I honestly don't know what to say to him apart from asking him why he didn't talk to me about this. I don't blame him or anything, we both have our reasons for waiting for the right time to tell the other things but being as we're at his family's house I thought it would have come up.

I might ask him about it but my mind is stuck on what happened that caused us to be here.

I have never seen him move as quickly as he did when we heard Anne's agonized cry. The blood drained from his face instantly, it was like his world crumbled around him. All thoughts of what were we're about to do, I still don't know what that might have been, were gone and Harry's only worry was getting downstairs.

It was horrible.

He leaped off the bed without question, like the tone of the cry was enough to tell him just how dire it was and he was pulling up a pair of pants and out his bedroom door within seconds. After pulling on the first thing I could grab I followed Harry downstairs. Prince was still barking up a storm, jumping around Harry and Anne as they tried to bring Robin back to consciousness.

It only took a couple minutes for Robin to come to and the moment he did Harry was shuffling him into the car ready to take him to the hospital.

Of course, Robin tried to argue, said it was nothing to worry about but Harry wasn't having any of it and leading Robin and his mum out to the car instantly.

My heart was crippled by the cite of it all. I have never seen Harry so concerned. Yes I've seen him scared, he's not a fan of horror films, and I've seen him stressed, but I've never seen him like the whole world was falling.

Harry was really out of his mind, he nearly walked out of the house with any shoes on and completely forgot to put on a shirt after our little rendezvous in his room. Luckily, I grabbed him a coat from the rack by the door before jumping in the car myself, Gemma and Michal following behind us.

The four of us were completely silent, Anne and Robin holding hands in the back, Harry's eyes staring straight ahead, his coat hanging open bearing his chest. Harry didn't pay it any mind, he was halfway to the hospital door before I was able to tell him to stop and zip it up, it's like he didn't even feel the cold.