78: Move In Invites and Quality Change

Harry and I jump, knocking into the other as we listen and wait for the loud intrusion to stop but Monica is insistent, beating down the door like her life depended on it.

Damn her.

I'm quick to snatch up the sheet and wrap it around myself, marching toward the door with a deep scowl on my face. I can't believe she's interrupting us, someone better of died or... actually no, I don't want that.

I open the door only enough to show my face, making sure to not let her see past me and catch a glimpse of Harry. Heaven knows if he's trying to cover himself up right now, he's so free and they have a very interesting relationship, I wouldn't be surprised if he stands behind me stark naked.

"I'm going to kill you," I say with gritted teeth, hoping my distaste for her presence in my life at this very moment is evident.

Before I know it, Monica is pulling me into the hall, not stopping to make a sassy comment about me wearing a sheet or a question about what Harry and I were getting up.

"The... the..."

"What," I lean into her a little bit, squinting at her as I try to decipher her words. The world has done a complete flip and now Monica is the incoherent one and I'm the stable(ish) one trying to figure out what on earth she's trying to get at.

"The oven... smoke..." and at that exact moment, the fire alarm starts to blare through the house.

My blood runs cold, my gaze diverting past her shivering form and toward the stairs. Before I can calculate how dangerous this situation can be I'm taking the steps as fast as I can handle. Someone must be watching over me because I make it all the way to the last step before I trip over the corner of the sheet that I am desperately trying to fold under my arm to secure it as I move about the house.

I catch myself on the banister, taking the first breath since Monica grunted that there was a problem in the kitchen. And what I see is almost unbelievable if it weren't for it happening right in front of me.

And my heart stops.

A thin veil of grey air fills the room, a steady stream of smoke rising from the oven and touching the ceiling before spreading through the top of the room.

"I'm sorry! Mia, what do we do?" Monica continues to wail behind me but the words don't register as the only thing I'm thinking about are my two little fur babies. If something happened to Prince... I don't think I would survive.

God, I have to stop thinking about it, that's not healing anything.

My heart rate increases in speed as I try to see through the thin smoke, but I can't see them. My eyes dart back and forth desperately, not stopping to look at one place for very long, hoping that one of them will pop out at me but either of them do.

I'm about to let the fear overtake this intense rush of adrenaline when I hear it. Two very loud and distinctly different barks coming from the archway to the right that leads to the dining room.

The smoke is just starting to reach where Monica and I are standing at the stairs when I take my first step in. I think Harry yells my name behind me but there is only one thing on my mind and that's getting Prince and Lea out of here.

"Mon, the extinguisher's in the pantry," I demand over my shoulder before I cover my mouth and nose with a corner of the sheet, duck down as far as I can manage, and start making my way to my puppies.

They look anything but fearful, the two of them barking with all their might as if their volume might take down the growing cloud of grey and black over their heads.