Chapter 8

Chapter 8: The McCain's

The alarm went off, causing Nick and Warlo to stir in their beds. I walk out of the bathroom to check if they woke up or not then head back into the bathroom to brush my teeth and finish my morning routine. I have probably been awake for half an hour now and being able to shower without someone banging on the door for me to "hurry up and finish" was definitely worth it.

I heard a knock as I was messing around with my hair in front of the mirror and opened the door to find Warlo standing there with an obvious just woke up attitude. His eyes were extremely squinted and he was hunched up more than normal. Not to mention the puffy face.

But I looked exactly the same half an hour earlier so I couldn't judge.

"You done yet?" He mumbled tiredly, the whole sentence basically being a sigh.

"Yeah I was just messing around with my hair, you and Nick can use it." I told him, sending him a smile as I left the bathroom even though it was probably the last thing he wanted. He didn't even try to smile back and just shuffled past me, closing the door. I went over to our closet turning the knob until it was on brown and bent down to pick out my sneakers.

I felt my back pockets, finding that I actually remembered my wallet and phone already and walked out of the dorm room. Leaving a dazed and confused Nick who was still sitting up on his bed staring at nothing. It was relatively quiet and I assumed the earlier hour had the students either solemn or asleep. Five minutes later I was in the cafeteria and luckily I was a part of the early crowd of students so the whole spread was laid out piping hot and there were virtually no lines.

I absolutely have to make this a habit. I was almost running over to the food, quickly picking up a plate and in a matter of minutes had pancakes, waffles, french toast, crepes, syrup and was ready for the protein bar.

"Woah, slow down." Someone said, holding onto my shoulder to stop me from running away. "I think that is more than enough food for today. And it's not going to go anywhere, breakfast is virtually the same every morning." I looked up and saw my brother Orlando staring back down at me.

"Why are you up so early?" I asked. Now my brother was a hard worker and could switch from fun to serious as fast as you could switch on the lights. But if he gets the opportunity he will take that extra minute of sleep. Let alone an extra half hour. So it really didn't make sense why he would wake up unnecessarily early.

"The teachers are required to be up an hour earlier so that we can have a staff meeting then eat around this time and start setting up our class ready while most of you guys are eating." Orlando explained to me simply. "It's a smart process and since most classes end at two-thirty I can take a nap later." I nodded in understanding before I froze when a thought came to me.

"So Mr. McCain is here?" I was shaking with excitement and it was obvious Orlando noticed it by the smirk that dressed his face. Dr. Dean McCain was like my hero. He was a human that came here to study one of the many species relations courses that are at the heart of the school and soon went travelling around the world finding groundbreaking ways of better serving all of the species and at that point, he was granted the highest honour. Much higher than any honour you might be familiar with.

He was awarded the grant of immortality.

When someone from one of the core species, (a species that can invent and create and think completely for themselves) becomes what the council considers a great asset to the species, the council asks the greater one if the person can gain immortality. If it is allowed they will complete the ritual and never age for as long as they choose.

Apart from that technical stuff, the things that he has done with his own two hands are simply extraordinary. He has my greatest respect. Plus people say that at thirty-two he is simply gorgeous and similar words are uttered about his brother.