Chapter 44

Chapter 44: So . . . Options . . ?

A large yawn was torn out of my body, my mouth opening wide to the point where my jaw ached. It was worse because it was not the first time that it had happened. I had been yawning all morning because, like an idiot, I wanted to stay up for the longest time to watch The Bachelorette. 

I was now extremely tired and worried about being able to stay up for all of my classes. The only good that came out of that decision was getting through so many episodes, but I was really questioning whether it was a good decision.

Of course, because of the lack of sleep, I couldn’t really think that well and quickly gave up on comparing the positive and negative consequences soon after I started.

I also didn’t use every opportunity to sleep, since I had spent a good chunk of the morning grilling my sister to try and get more info about her impromptu kiss with Thulani.

The moment we were all seated for breakfast, we quickly decided that Warlo, Harvey, and Nick would try to crack Thulani while Sam and I worked on my sister. From what Nick told me afterwards, Lani was a 30 layer iron vault that they were incapable of opening.

Dipi probably would have been just as challenging if I didn’t have the trust built up over the years of living together and being siblings. It was barely five minutes after Sam left that Dipi looked at me with bright eyes and said to me,

“Sebastian?” My eyes snapped up to hers in less than a second, but she didn’t even laugh. Her mind was too far gone. “I . . . it was amazing. And it wasn’t because of his technique or any other normal reason but because of him. I’m not in love with him, but I think that I could be soon.”

I had screamed so loud that she had to cover my mouth to shut me up.

“Don’t tell anyone else that, alright?” She told me, now staring me straight in the eye with a serious and threatening look. “This is in confidence, do you understand?” 

“Of course, the sibling code, I got it, sergeant.” I said in reply, gaining an eye roll from Dipika. After a couple of seconds, I grinned again and scooted closer to her to whisper. “Congratulations. You guys are really cute together.”

We had hugged quickly before joining the group again. We didn’t want them to get suspicious. Now, over an hour later, any energy I was able to grapple together to talk to my sister disappeared. So I was left hovering through the halls using my magic, with my chin falling onto my chest.

When I entered Magic 101, I zeroed in on my seat and only saw the flexible black plastic and mesh chair as I walked. The moment my butt hit the thick layer of cushioning, I was sighing and falling into a light nap.

The next time my eyes opened, the bell was ringing and Ms. Dovermal was trying to start the class. I cannot tell you how difficult it is to go from ‘charging up on sleep’ to ‘wide awake and ready to learn’.

It was a very difficult feat, but in a matter of minutes, I appeared just as awake and aware as any other pupil in my classroom. Looks can be deceiving because I still felt pretty dead. But hey, fake it ‘till you make it is around for a reason, right?

I hoped that just looking awake would get me through this class, I could worry about staying awake for the rest later. 

~~~

“I hope that this activity can help you all imagine yourselves in these careers.” Ms. Dovermal said to us, pacing in front of her desk with a faraway expression. Her eyes began to sparkle, and the soft smile that began to grow on her face was unlike anything we were used to seeing. “See yourselves pursuing careers that can use your magic for something more than simple pranks and convenience. Using your magic for your livelihood, and to help the world.”