Chapter 48

Chapter 48: The Moment of Truth

I was sitting alone in my room, legs crossed under me as I sat on the bed. Both Nick and Warlo were out --something about trying to get girlfriends-- leaving me with the perfect opportunity to make a phone call I had been worrying over for months.

It was long overdue and I felt like a terrible person for waiting for this long. But I had been scared immensely. Pushing it off had just felt like the best idea. Now, though, I just wanted it over with. 

I wanted to be able to call them and tell them about what was going on with me and Dean and not feel like I was lying to them about my whole who I am. I wanted to be able to tell them about my life, all of it. 

I was not only going to come out to my parents, but I was going to tell them that I had started dating Dean. The main reason I hadn’t told them about my relationship was that I was still scared of how they would react to the fact that I liked guys.

I knew my parents well. They were kind and good-hearted but also raised in a society far more traditional and conservative than the one I grew up in. 

They had never been hateful per se --definitely not the types to be violent or yell about these things-- but the silent disgust and confusion were enough to put me off about ever telling them.

Now, having a mate and knowing I would be with him for the rest of my life if possible, I felt as if I couldn’t hide it from them any longer.

But boy did I try. Stalling this has been one of my greatest accomplishments. It could have been a talent but the guilt caught up to me. And now I was here on my bed, phone in hand, preparing myself to call my parents.

“I can do this. I can do this.” I muttered nervously, somewhat hoping that I would feel more confident by saying that.

It worked just a little bit but that was enough to have me tapping on my mom’s number. Judging by the time on the clock, a bit after 6 in the evening, both of my parents should be home. 

The phone started ringing and my heart began to pound loudly in my chest. A new rush of nerves came abruptly, replacing the previous ones with a new fervour. I seriously considered hanging up but my mother’s voice came through before I got the chance.

“Sebastian! How are you?! It has been too long since you last called!” My mother greeted me loudly through the phone. The volume of it had me wincing and pulling the phone away from my ear to compensate. I quickly realized that speaker was a better idea and laid the phone down on the blankets.

“Mom, I called you last week. We were talking about my change of career choice, remember?” I reminded her, amused at how dramatic she was acting.

“But that is so long!” She said, her voice dramatic and sad as if something had actually happened to me. “I used to speak to you every day when you lived at home. A week is like five years!”

I shook my head but didn’t try to argue with her about it. At this point, it was probably pointless.

“So, what has been going on with you and dad?” I asked her, knowing that I would get a lengthy reply as a response.

As my mother went on and on about what happened in the last several days, I listened while also preparing myself for what I was going to say. My mother finally finished and hit me with the deciding phrase.

“So, how is everything with you, Sebastian?” She asked kindly. Her calmness was a startling contrast to how loud and upset she was earlier. But I knew it was just because she had finally calmed down and was able to rant.