Chapter 29

Chapter 29: Crazy Eights

Third Person POV

Turns out Gavin was wrong and Dean didn't plan on telling him what was going on. Almost an hour had gone by and Dean had barely spoken, let alone talked about what was up between him and his student crush.

Gavin had been supporting his brother Dean with his crush on the younger magic user since some of the first days of the school year. He hadn't been asking about it lately as Dean had been happy for a long time so he didn't feel the need to meddle. Now, though, he wished that he had kept up and known what had happened.

Dean went to finish his beer and for some reason, seeing the satisfied gulps Dean made as he drank got on Gavin's last nerve.

"Alright, your time is up." Gavin stated loudly, startling his little brother who jumped from the noise. "You are going to tell me what's going on. Then, I am going to give you some sweet brotherly advice which is the only thing that I am good for these days before you leave, completely prepared to win back that kid."

Dean blinked stupidly at his brother's words before smiling bashfully. He wasn't sure why he thought that Gavin wouldn't eventually bring up his situation again but he had still hoped. Still, though, it always made him smile to see his brother relax.

Gavin McCain acted like a real old man around his students and was pretty stiff about most things. But around friends and family, the guy could be a goof too. He was still usually a tight-ass but he had his moments. This was one of them.

"You are oddly prepared for someone who still doesn't know what's actually going on." Dean softly smiled over the neck of his beer bottle. Gavin waved him off with a simple flick of his hand.

"I'm your brother, it's my job." Gavin said, dismissing Dean's comment easily. "Now, stop changing the subject, get to the chase."

Dean sighed deeply, still hesitant to say it, but finally started explaining the situation. Gavin was calm and silent while Dean talked, only speaking when he needed more clarification and had a question. When Dean finished, Gavin stroked his chin thoughtfully and relaxed back into his chair.

"Well, you did kind of fuck it up, man." Gavin starts, not even blinking when Dean groans and nods his head.

"Yeah, I thought so too. Any other brilliant observations?" Dean asked sarcastically, his words rude and slightly spiteful. Gavin rolled his eyes.

"Calm." He drawled, grinning at Dean's insulted look at being treated like a dog. "Although you did mess up, you did what you did for a reason, right?"

Dean seems a bit confused as to what Gavin was implying so Gavin continued.

"I mean, it sounds like you don't trust him."

Dean quickly opens his mouth, preparing to argue against the assumption but freezes when he has nothing to say. Slowly, Dean closes his mouth again to think. Gavin stays silent, allowing Dean to collect his thoughts.

"It's- It's not-" Dean cut himself off and finally sighed. "Fine, I don't trust Sebastian." When Gavin started to nod his head slowly, like he expected this, Dean scrambled to explain.

"But, it's not because of anything he did. I just . . . you know more than anyone that people can be selfish and greedy. I didn't want my fame or the idea of immortality to distract him and take away from our relationship. So yeah, I might not trust him yet, but I want to. I want to possibly marry him and give him immortality as well because I love him and he loves me, not because I love him and he loves living forever. I want it to be real Gavin."

Gavin didn't even miss a beat.

"Is it?" He asks calmly, looking Dean straight in the eye. "Is it real, Dean? Because if not, I'm not sure that it is worth the trouble."