Chapter 36

Chapter 36: Pick a Side, Pick a Side

If I thought it odd to try to clearly recall a dream to another person, it was even harder to try to explain an idea. It wasn’t the actual idea that was hard to explain but the reason why it seemed to excite me as much as it did.

I stared at the group around me, searching their faces for the expression that I hoped to see. Sure, it might have been unrealistic to expect them to all be as excited as I was but I did expect more.

I couldn’t help the pout that fell on my lips as I fell back into my seat. I was disappointed that none of my friends were as excited over the project as Dean and I, and I did not even have Dipi around to back me up.

She was a mixed species unlike my friends and would probably understand where I was coming from.

It was the next day, or afternoon specifically. Dipi had to go study with some of her other friends and it was the first thing I noticed when I had met the rest of our group at our usual spot.

Regardless, I had told all of them about the idea. I expected them to be just as excited if not more excited than me when I brought it up. Now I knew, however, that the expectation was unrealistic. They had all reacted the same way they would have if I got an A on a quiz or test, not as if we were talking about helping kids.

“You don’t need to pout, Sebastian.” Sam chuckled, pulling her knees up to her chest and wrapping her pale arms around them. Harvey’s eyes went straight the point where her bum met the ground before they suddenly shot in the opposite direction.

Warlo chuckled when he saw it and while Sam probably thought it was for the same reason that she did but she was sadly mistaken.

I shook my head, turning away from Sam’s teasing gaze.

“What happened to kissing up to me as an apology?” I asked the redhead, my pouting getting larger without my notice. “I really don’t think that this will get me to forgive you faster.”

Sam scoffed loudly, the others joining her in her loud display. I shook softly, struggling to keep my laugh at bay. Eventually, they stopped and I released the large breath I had been holding on to.

“If you already know that it is happening, there isn’t much point of doing it now, is there Sebastian?” Thulani asked, raising a single brow with his statement. I blinked up at him stupidly before scowling.

“You say that as if you’re still in the safe zone.” I told him, waving a finger in the confidently. “There is still a whole relationship to repair, Lani. Don’t forget that.”

The mood suddenly got tense and Nick was quick to break up the awkward mood.

“Uh, so how have your classes been guys?” Nick asked awkwardly, his voice cracking a bit at the end. None of us felt like pointing it out and teasing Nick about it. Instead, we answered the question normally.

We went around, talking about classes and classmates. Most of it was complaining about classes, teachers, assignments, classmates, or all of them at once.

I noticed that Lani was acting a bit more distant than usual and used a gust of wind to grab his attention. I heard my friends chuckle at Lani startled reaction but ignored them, focusing solely on Lani himself.

“What’s up with you, how are your classes?” I asked, giving Lani a wide-eyed look. Lani winced, rubbing his cold arm, cold because of the wind, and shrugged.

“They’ve been alright. I’m a human so I don’t have any of your crazy magic or shifting classes. The worst I’ve experienced has been . . . ”