Chapter 28

Chapter 28: A Day in the Life of a Teacher

Third Person POV

Dean watched Sebastian race out of his classroom. He felt a deep desire to laugh but his sadness seemed to prevent him from doing so. Sebastian was, clearly, avoiding him.

When he had seen the same done to Sebastian’s friend, Samantha, Dean had been a tad sympathetic, but able to underestimate the situation.

Sebastian hadn't been avoiding him. He was still in his good graces.

Now though, when Sam seemed to be staring at him sympathetically, Dean understood. It was a terrible position to be in, and he wished that it could be different.

He wanted to be upset, to turn around and blame any and everything for his misfortune. But, he couldn’t. It was all his fault. Whether he had done to be a dick or save the Queen, he had done it. And that was what caused this all. No amount of explaining seemed to help the guilt that Dean felt.

But who could blame him

The love of his life and his new found mate seemed to hate him. At least, in his eyes Sebastian hated him.

Dean sighed and turned back to the line of students all waiting to gain some information or flirting time from him.

“Look, if any of you here aren’t in line because you need help or- better yet. Anyone who is here simply to get a chance to talk and flirt with me and not for some intellectual purpose, please step out of line.” Dr. McCain said lazily, his eyes drifting over the students. There was a pause where no one seemed to move, then one person stepped out. Following them was the second, third fourth . . . By the time they had all left, the line was less than half of what it had been before.

Maybe I had gone overboard with the romantic tone . . . Dean thought mirthfully.

“Alright.” Dean muttered, his mind quickly moving to gather itself to be a teacher again. “Hi, Debbie. What can I help you with?”

~~~~~~~

Dr. McCain let a deep sigh left his lips as he graded the last assignment. Loosening his tie and slumping back into his chair, he let his feeling of fatigue creep in and slide his eyelids shut.

Hours after Sebastian had raced out of his class, Dean had finished his teaching duties for the day. He had organized and planned for the next day’s lessons and started graded the most recent minor assignment.

Although he liked having many minor and major assignments during the year to help students balance out their grades in the instance that they happen to fail one or two, Dean often despises that side of himself when he is left to grade them. But, luckily, he had finished earlier today.

Maybe I should try to set up a meeting with Sebastian at the waterfall today. Dean thought, an excited smile falling onto his face. The smile immediately dropped when he remembered what had happened the last time that he and Sebastian had met at the waterfall.

Dean sighed again, but this time the sigh was directed at his return of sadness. It wasn’t even funny the number of times in which he had forgotten that Sebastian was still upset at him. His forgetfulness was made worse when he then remembered and then had to deal with the emotions all over again.

Dean wanted to spend a few minutes sitting in his pity when a sudden noise came from his phone. Picking it up, he wasn’t surprised to see that it was a message from his older brother, Gavin McCain.

Gavin:

You finished with work yet?

Me: