Chapter 33

Chapter 33: Why Did You Laugh?

“Sebastian!” I jumped in my seat, my heart thumping wildly from surprise, and turned to the voice. “Would you like to come down to planet earth long enough to answer my question?”

The other students in the classroom giggled, chuckled, and snorted at the sweet tone in their teacher's voice. A few had some empathy for me because they had experienced some similar embarrassment, but most just took great amusement from my position.

“Uh, yeah. What was your question?” I asked sleepily, my mind not fully there. Ms. Dovermal rolled her eyes and I heard a few more laughs before she finally repeated her question. I glanced at the board and felt my heart ease a bit when I was reminded of the answer.

“There were 47 of them Ms. Dovermal.” I said, a grin slowly coming on to my face when I saw the slight dejection on my Magic 101 teacher’s face. I had gotten it right.

“Very good.” She bit out, releasing a breath and looking back up with an easier smile. “Then I won’t have to explain who Jacqueline Moris was and why recapping that question was important for your test in two weeks.”

My jaw dropped open and I gaped as I tried to come up with something to say.

“Pay attention.” She stated, giving me, and a few other students, harsh looks before she went back to teaching. I sighed, rubbing a hand against my temple.

The reason why I had been so dazed had been because of one person, one man. While we were still keeping it from others, we had been meeting as often as we could. Whether it be for several hours or a few minutes, we did the best we could to see each other. We also finally exchanged phone numbers and unlike my first few months of being here, I am now constantly carrying my phone in case he messaged me.

I knew I was acting ridiculous, but it felt nice to finally be in the honeymoon stage with my boyfriend, my mate. We hadn’t yet talked about that aspect of our relationship or what we were going to do about, but simply having him around was enough.

Class went on for another 20 minutes before she assigned the homework and let us pack up before the bell. I was putting my book into my bag when I heard my name called. I looked up and quickly realized that it was Ms. Dovermal.

Standing in front of her, I finally acknowledged the fact that my path down to her was probably awkward. But, I didn’t focus on it. With the way that she was looking at me, seeming awkward was certainly not important. The bell rang and the familiar thumping of feet as students raced out of the classroom did little to calm me.

Ms. Dovermal sat at her desk, silently going through her work as her students continued to file out of the classroom. I shuffled from foot to foot, unsure of what to do. She still hadn’t spoken to me but I couldn’t leave either. When the last person who planned to leave left, she finally looked up at me.

“Did you study magic in high school?” Ms. Dovermal asked, startling me slightly. In high school in most dimensions, they did not teach magic to those in high school. While some were naturally born with the ability to use it, it can be quite dangerous. Most spells are not allowed to be used in high schools and could be punished quite harshly. There were some students that were able to enroll in special programs that allowed them to learn spells earlier.

“No, I didn’t.” I told her truthfully. I felt my curiosity build when she looked confused. In my case, I was simply allowed to practice at home and got better at it. But, I never did anything extreme or advanced, but she clearly thought otherwise. “I did practice simpler spells at home though, that might have done something.”

Ms. Dovermal was already shaking her head before I finished.

“No, that can’t be it.” Her eyes were cast downwards and her brows were deeply furrowed as she thought. Finally, she sighed and looked up at me again. “Never the less, you are one of the most naturally talented students in any of my classes, Sebastian. Despite your occasional tendency to zone out in my class, your ability to naturally generate and pinpoint power is far beyond your years. When you are able to become specific in your control, you will be extraordinary.”