Chapter 40

Chapter 40: Protection is Better Than Cure

Sam sighed, biting her lip as her eyes watched the paper in front of her intently. We had been working for nearly half an hour at this point, Dean having quickly sent us off to work on our projects the moment class began.

Sam has been working pretty diligently, but I saw many times how she would stop in her work, looking at something with a thoughtful expression. That’s what was happening now, Sam staring down at the paper in front of her, not reading what it said but focusing on it mindlessly.

I leaned over, placing a hand on her shoulder as a comforting gesture. It seemed to focus Sam on the world again and she looked back at me, blinking repeatedly.

“Sam?” I asked her quietly, hoping to keep the conversation as private as possible. Sam looked down at the paper in front of her again.

“I think I want to talk to him.” She whispered, voice low and quiet. “I may have been a bit overwhelmed but he didn’t really deserve my anger. So, I’ll apologize and hopefully, he’ll explain why he did it.”

I had to bite back my smile, watching Sam excitedly.

“That’s a great idea, Sam.” I tell her gently, hiding my excitement behind a gentle front. “Harvey has some important things to tell you.”

Sam's head snaps up and she eyes me warily.

“What things?” She asks, watching my expression carefully. I pale and turn away from her quickly.

“Nothing big.” I say quickly, before regretting my answer. “Well, maybe not small but not life-changing. Or maybe kind of life-changing- just, talk to Harvey.”

Sam was not happy with having to wait, but didn’t push it any further and went back to work on our project again. It was incredibly lucky because I probably would have spilled it in one way or another in my panic.

The class went by smoothly, Sam and I working efficiently and feeling prepared to move to the next step. When the bell did ring, Sam and I weren’t prepared and rushed to pack our stuff and leave to our next class. I waved at Sam, watching her redhead exit the room in a rush before turning to my next issue.

Dean.

I walked up to his desk slowly, waiting for him to notice my presence but hesitant to see his reaction. I really was not sure if he was going to speak to me or not. Dean looked up, and I got my answer when he shook his head, turning to a girl that stepped up to his desk with a kind smile.

I deflated, my hope leaving me in an instant, and left the room.

So everything still wasn’t alright. I thought sadly, eyes watering slightly as they were trained on the ground. I sniffled, rubbing at my eyes to rid them of the moisture and moved even faster to leave.

I wasn’t going to cry, there was no point. If Dean had an issue, he had to tell me about it. Until then, I wouldn’t freak out and do my part to stay calm.

~~~~~

I checked my phone, once again finding no messages in the group chat about Harvey and Sam’s relationship. Specifically, I found no hint that the two had spoken and confessed their mutual love.

I knew that if Sam went through with the effort of contacting Harvey, our group chat would be filled with talk all about it. But all I saw were a couple of memes and the few lines of conversation that followed each one.

I was slightly disappointed, but I shouldn’t have expected Sam to move so quickly. She had a lot of conflicting feelings when it came to relationships after her ex, and needed time to think. I just hoped when the time came for them to actually talk, that Sam wouldn’t reject Harvey, her mate.