Chapter 17: Ziegler's Assessment

Reinhardt picked up the book on the ground next to him with one hand and slipped his glasses on with the other. It was hard for him to see the small text in such a sophisticated medical book.

Opening to the correct page asked, he examined the page and looked for any pre-arranged questions and subtext provided. (Y/n), really had been putting effort into studying hard, post-it notes and highlighted words were littered amongst the page identifying the most important parts.

As he scanned the page to find the most difficult questions, he could feel the cool air of the gardens breeze along his neck and brush up against his nose alowing him to become more relaxed in the late spring. You both had rested underneath the same tree you always sit at in the gardens to study and concentrate. The shadow of the trees leaves towering above, had covered the both of you like bedsheets.

Wanting to keep the questions a mystery, rein' had sat across from you with his back against the tree and his legs straightened. While you, sat pretzel legged leaning forward eager and nervous for him to give you your first unprofessional pre-test.

Reinhardt had caught a glimpse of a funny looking word and decided to read the sentence further. He rose his brows in contempt and grew jokingly sinister hoping his question would stump you.

"Ah, i've got you already! What is the tool used to examine a patients retina and optic nerve?" Rein' lowered the book a little and looked up to see your 'deep in thought' expression with his left eye brow raised. His glasses sliding down his nose a bit to make him appear more worldly.

With your eyes and head lifted, you started going through the data bank in your mind of studied tools and instantly found what you were looking for.

"Uh...Oh! It's the ophthalmoscope!" Your voice now ushering confidence, a similar feeling had crossed your face wanting an answer from the still man.

Examining the features and radiance you gave off, Reinhardt couldn't help but, smile and chuckle with bass. The laughter gave you a chill hearing it so low and rough, making your heart speed up a little bit.

Rein's chuckle quickly turned to an answer, "Excellent job, (y/n)." Your eyes now slightly seductive and questionable, you stared his way with playfull confusion.

"What? You thought i couldn't get it?" Now slyly spoke, hoping he would crack underneath his bigger exterior. Reinhardt had jumped a little inside but, held firmly onto his inner self and began smirking even bigger at your playful nature. You could've sworn his voice had gotten even deeper, when he started chuckling again.

"Ah, i never doubted you for a second beautifull." His voice regained its normal nature and sounded warm in your ears craddling your inner essence.
It managed to transform your emotions to a calm linear plane. A smile had crept its way onto your cheeks, getting more flustered by the second. You sank back a little in your spot, trying to somehow simmer this intense feeling bubbling up within yourself.

Rein' only kept starring your way keeping his smirk before beginning the next question in his quest to stump you in some way.

///

"Alright (y/n), sit here and i will go get your examination." Angela's tone seemed even more experienced and intimidating in your head, even though she was just being her normal self. The smell of the room didn't help either, various chemicals filled your nose and only made your anxiety skyrocket.

The last few days of studying with rein seemed to fly by way too quickly. Although it was too good to be true, getting to study with and getting to know rein' in general better, seemed to be the highlight of your week. You both had gotten to understand each other and feel each others emotions and personalities with just simple study dates. Being with you through the hard questions, it made him too tense not to be there for you when you began to take your test. He sat patiently outside the medical bay on a soft orange and gray chair in a line of empty seats, impatiently tapping his foot in anticipation. His hand balled into a fist had been cupped by the other for comfort. Mouth resting gently against his hands, he starred intensly at the other side of the hall hoping for a good outcome.