Chapter 19: The News Noone Was Prepared For

Sitting in the waiting chairs grew more frustrating and nerve wrecking by the second. The majority of the team sitting and waiting next to you, hoping for a positive outcome. Lena seemed like the one freaking out the most with her constant pacing back and fourth up and down a short segment of the hall. Fear plastered on her face, she seemed worried enough, looking like the embodiment of pure anxiety. Her outward appearnce conveying a strong message but, she wasn't the only one in this long drive of distraught. She was merely a passanger in shotgun, while Ana was the one driving. Her perturbed radiance was concealed inwardly, wanting to release every built up tear. They wanted to reach their way out of her sockets so badly but, her firm grip on being a soldier refused to let one tear drop. You on the other hand sat in the back seat but, sat in the middle taking up both sides of the seat.

You couldn't let yourself be as tense as Lena but, couldn't be as strong as Ana. All you could do was stare blankly at the other end of the hallway and let a tear roll down your face. It had seemed as if the tear held the memory of how he looked at you when his face was stuffed with pastries. It made you chuckle silently, hoping it wouldn't turn for the worst.

Other soldiers in the fight sat in the other waiting chairs and stood tall leaning their backs against the wall in contempt. Their beloved hero fallen at the hands of his own beating heart.

It was almost as if the crowded hall was filled with sound proof foam that trapped all the sound in, from how quiet it was, other than Lenas constant pace making.

However, the built up tension was finally released once angela had opened the door and leaned outside.

Every head turned with every face shocked and praying. Lena couldn't controll herself from running a little in her direction.

Angelas head scanned the room with a stern look, until she had stopped on you.

Her voice squeaking out, "He would like to see you..."

The room had lifted in spirit enormously knowing that rein' was at least still alive. Your face now mimicing Lenas, you boosted yourself up off the chair and carefully made your way through the crowd and towards the medical bay.

Lena was slightly shocked by this news, she flinched back a little in her stance and grew conflicted with a slightly agape mouth. Why would he not want to see her or Ana first? Why not tell the people that have been by his side for years first? She wasn't upset by all means but, simply couldn't understand.

As your your steps grew more confined in sound, Angela quietly shut the door behind you leaving Lena in the center of the doorway looking in with nothing but a scared and worried expression.

The door clicked taking steps further into the room, you could see him sitting in a wheelchair facing away from the center of the room. His worn out, blank stare carelessly stuck to the floor as his body sat a couple feet away and facing the wall. You could practically feel the defeat eminating off of him, so incredibly tired and weak. His built body taking up all of the seat.

"I gave him antibiotics and various amounts of other medically engineered prescriptions to keep him fighting... So it will give me more time..." Angelas voice never had sounded more broken, as the both of you paused a few feet behind the weak gladiator.

She had said it as if no one was watching her yet, like she couldn't have a care in the world if anyone was listening and because of that, it made you bitter...

"What do you mean 'more time'?" Your voice elevated in demand but, still kept composure for an answer making Angela's and rein's spine tingle. They knew their jig was up...

It didn't matter to Angela to say what was happening, you needed to know the truth, and how could they possibly cover up a situation like this? It was only a matter of time.

Angela closed her eyes and gulped, internally welcoming the consequences and questionable feedback with hesitant open arms.

"(Y/n), we need to talk..." Angelas delicate voice echoed in Reinhardts head over and over making him fear for the worst. It sounded fragile, as if the slightest push overboard could make her break down crying.

You stood perfectly still and silent awaiting the news, reaching for some sort of solitude within this unsettling space.

Angelas mouth now hesitating to speak had began to open for words to trickle out but, was stopped once Reinhardt had interupted.

"My heart is failing (y/n)." His voice deep and somber. A thick layer of sadness and depression sat on top of his sentence. His back still away from you, and his head raised slightly he continued,"I am not sure how long i can last with this unpredictable heart..."

Pure shock and terror is all you could exert, all you could show was complete dejection. It felt as if, your heart formed its own pain as well, it growing worse by the minute. All of this built up emotion bubbling inside you, rose to the surface and overflowed out of your eyes letting streams of tears run down your cheeks. The numbness that embodied your face, had kept your expression still.

Feeling your breathing become heavy, you inhale and nervously exhale. So many questions had gone through your head but, none of them could escape your lips.

Reinhardt had listened intently to your weeping, letting out a silent tear from failure to keep you happy.

All Angela could do was stare blankly forward and let out another silent but audible gulp in dissapointment. She couldn't bare this disturbing stress any longer,"That's why i said it will give me more time..."

Her voice entranced you into glancing her way making you feel curious and questionable. Until a flash of realization had shown itself to you. You remembered the unfinished part resting on the counter from the day you took your test and turned its way.

Buying a small silent moment, you spoke,"...Is that what you were talking about?" You spoke with eyes never leaving the darker corner of the room. Angela never moved, never left her spot but, knew what you were staring at and replied with a simple, "Yes."

Angela knowing she had to explain herself further, continued on about this mysterious object carelessly resting atop the counter.

"It is a project i have been working on, that our scientist had given me the blueprints to. It is a mechanically engineered heart that can generate and pump enough blood plasma for Reinhardt to be alive and well. It would make it look like there was never anything wrong with him..." Angelas sentence grew more depressed by the second.

You tried to keep calm and collected but, your breathing shattered causing you to take a deeper breath and hitched once angela continued.

"But, now that he is displaying signs of failing, I am not sure. If i can't get this heart done it time." Angela paused and pinched her eyes shut trying to conceal the oncoming tears. "Reinhardt wont be able to make it..."