I'll always be here for you

Another story from my Tumblr account

Ezra back flipped over Kanan and shot blue energy from his lightsaber. Kanan blocked the attack with his own lightsaber, and ran towards Ezra. The boy waited until his Master was really close before shutting off his lightsaber and firing another energy orb. 
Kanan wasn’t ready for this and got hit. Kanan collapsed, stunned. Ezra stood over him with his hands behind his back and a grin on his face.

“Wanna go out of three?” He laughed helping his mentor up.

“You’re really mastering this aren’t you Apprentice?” Kanan smiled taking Ezra’s hand.

“Thanks to your teaching Master” Ezra replied putting his head slightly to the side.

Kanan smile grew slightly and shook his head. Whenever he offered the teen praise, Ezra would suddenly become modest. Something that didn’t often happen.

“Come on, we’ll grab a bite to eat before I win the next round” Kanan said.

“Hey!” Ezra cried and Kanan looked over his shoulder with a grin before heading to the Ghost. 

Ezra rolled his eyes and sped up with his mentor. 

“Kanan, do you sometimes wish the empire would suddenly become so weak, we could defeat them easily?” 

Kanan stopped in his tracks and looked at his Padawan. 

“I always do Ezra, but if things were easier, you wouldn’t learn how to be passionate and strong when you hold your lightsaber. Does that make sense to you?” 

Ezra thought for a second before nodding.

“Yes, I understand Master” he replied.

“Good.”

“Hey! Kanan! Could you come in here please?!” Hera Syndulla’s voice yelled from the cockpit of the ship. 

“Be right there!” Kanan called back.

“I’ll wait for you in the common room OK?” Ezra said.

“Sounds good” Kanan replied heading up the ladder to the cockpit.

Ezra followed but changed direction and went into the common room. He sat down and clasped his hands together. He slipped into meditation to pass the time. 
But his steady meditation turned to sleep. Kanan arrived ten minutes later.
He took one look at his sleeping Padawan before his face broke into a soft smile. 
The kid must have been exhausted. They had been training four hours straight with lightsabers, the Force and connecting with animals. Kanan turned to go when he was stopped by a whimper. He spun round to see Ezra tightening his hands into fists and an uncomfortable expression on his face. His eyes were tightly closed and a trickle of sweat went down the side of his head. Kanan quickly went over to the teen and could faintly hear Ezra muttering.

“I’m sorry! I couldn’t do anything to prevent it! Please Kanan! Stop!” 

Kanan looked at his Padawan with concern and worry as tears started rolling down the kids face.

“Ezra?” He whispered not wanting to startle the teen.

Ezra’s muttering got louder every second.

“Kanan please! Don’t do this! Hera! Sabine! Please stop him!” 

Kanan swallowed. Whatever Ezra was dreaming about, it definitely didn’t seem pleasant. 

“Ezra” he said louder grasping the teens shoulder.

“KANAN!” Ezra screamed.

Kanan roughly shook the teens shoulder. Ezra woke gasping for air just as Hera, Sabine and Zeb rushed through the doors. They had heard his terrified screaming. Ezra looked at them before turning his tear streaked face to Kanan.

“Kid?” Kanan asked crouching down. 

Ezra suddenly launched himself at Kanan, breaking down completely. Crying and holding on to Kanan’s neck to support himself.
Kanan almost toppled backwards when Ezra shot into his arms. The other team members looked very confused but Hera came over and gently lay a hand on Ezra’s back.

“Ezra?” Kanan asked carefully pulling the teen away from his chest, but still held him in a comforting way.

“Are you alright?”

Ezra blinked up at him. 

“Nightmares” he said quietly.

Kanan and Hera exchanged concerned looks before turning back to Ezra.

“About?” Kanan asked carefully lifting Ezra on to the seat. 

“You booting me off the team” Ezra replied.

“No one stopped you, you grabbed my arm and said you guys didn’t need me. You opened the ramp and tossed me out of the ship…” 

Kanan blinked in surprise.

“…While in flight.”

“Oh Ezra” Hera breathed and sat on his left while Kanan seated himself on the boys right. 

“We would never get rid of you, we love you” Hera said gently running her hand through Ezra’s thick hair. 

“And I would never toss you out of the ship, especially not in flight, I think of you as a son, I would never let you go” Kanan said putting an arm round Ezra. 

Ezra put his head on his Masters shoulder and closed his eyes tiredly. Kanan smiled down at the teen.
Ezra’s breathing evened out.

“He’s asleep” Hera informed Kanan.

The Jedi gently rubbed Ezra’s arm and picked him up, bridal style. He went down the hall and stopped outside the Lasat and the teen's room. He bit his lip and looked down at the kid sleeping peacefully in his arms. Changing his mind, Kanan went further down the hall and opened his bedroom door with the Force. Carefully, he laid Ezra on his bed before grabbing a blanket and covering the teen. A soft smile was on Kanan’s face. Sitting beside Ezra, he ran his hand through the boys hair.
No matter what nightmare he had, Kanan would comfort him. Besides he had no one to do that in his past.
Kanan’s heart flipped with sympathy when he thought about it.

“Don’t worry kid” he muttered soothingly.

“I’ll always be here for you.”
______________________________

Hours had passed since Ezra’s nightmare. Hera was beginning to get worried. No one had seen Kanan or the boy.

“I checked my room” Zeb had said. 

“But they weren’t there.” 

Hera had been fixing the Phantom, but decided to go look for the two Jedi herself.
She looked into Zeb’s room just in case but found they weren’t there. She passed Kanan’s room but stopped and backed up. 
Maybe? 
She opened the door and her expression relaxed. She had to stop herself from saying aww. She went back to the lounge.

“You two have to see this” she told Sabine and Zeb who got up and followed. 

Their expressions also softened at what they saw.
Kanan had Ezra in his arms. Ezra had his back pressed against Kanan’s chest and the older Jedi had his head on Ezra’s. They were both fast asleep. Ezra snoring quietly and adorably. Hera and the other two left the two Jedi to rest.

“We’ve just gotta make sure Chopper doesn’t go in there” Zeb said with a grin. 

“He’d either taser them or tease them about it.”

“Or both” Hera sighed.

“You know” Sabine began.

“Ezra once said he wanted to be my inspiration, I think I have a new painting in mind.”