The sacred rule

Kanan and Hera were taking a walk through the grasslands on Lothal. It had rained for hours before so they were taking in the sunlight happily. However, there was something missing from the plains.

"Notice how there's no Lothcats?" Kanan asked.

"Yeah I did, where are they all?" Hera looked around the fields.

Kanan's com suddenly went off. Giving Hera a glance, he pressed transmit.

"Hello?" He said.

"Uhhhhh...heyyyy Kanan" Sabine said through the com.

"What have you done now?" Kanan asked in a monotone.

"Hey! I haven't done anything! It's Ezra's fault! Tell him Ezra!"

"Mmmfghh!" Was all Kanan and Hera heard.

"What's happened?" Hera asked.

"Welllllll, let's just say the Lothcats aren't fond of rain" Sabine said.

"No..." Kanan's voice trailed off.

"Yeah, you guys need to get back here, like, right now."

"On our way, but how many Lothcats are there?" Hera inquired.

"Believe me, you do not want to know."
_________________________________

What Kanan and Hera saw when they got back was not what they were exprecting. Lothcats were sprawled out everywhere through the cave. Their thick fur soaked through from the rain. Jai and Mart were pinned down by two each, Ryder had some sleeping on his shoes while one rested on his lap. Chopper had one lying on his dome while Zeb was buried in brown fur and limbs. Sabine was standing at the entrance, observing the scene.

"What happened?" Hera stared, going over to the Mandalorin.

"Okay so, picture this, Ezra finds a Lothcat kitten outside so he brings it inside. More Lothcats see this and decide this is a shelter even though we made it clear to them they're no allowed indoors" Sabine huffed.

"Haven't you tried kicking them out?" Kanan asked.

"Tried it, they came back in."

"Tried scaring them?"

"We used Zeb but that just got him attacked" Sabine pointed at Zeb who could barely be seen beneath all the Lothcats who were piled on top of him.

"So where's Ezra?" Kanan asked.

Sabine motioned to the far side of the cave and Hera forced herself to hold back a snort. Ezra was lying flat, face down on the ground with five Lothcats sitting on him. Two on his back, two on his legs and the Lothcat kitten on the back of his head.

Kanan sighed and walked over to his Padawan, putting his hands behind his back, he tapped his boot.

"Care to explain Ezra?" He asked.

"Mfrghh."

"What?"

"Mmgh frrmmmm mmmfgh!"

"What?"

Ezra lifted his chin a tiny fraction.

"This isn't my fault" he said a bit clearer.

"Oh really?"

"Yes, really."

"Right, so you didn't bring a Lothcat in here when we specifically told you not to?"

"It was a kitten and it was cold and wet! I couldn't just leave it there! What'd you expect me to do?"

"I would've expected you toss it a blanket and leave it outside."

Ezra groaned and face planted back into the dirt.

"Ezra do you intend to lie like a plank for much longer? It can’t be good for you" Hera went over and looked down on the Padawan.

"Ever heard of the sacred rule Hera?" Ezra's muffled voice spoke from the earth.

"Uh, no?" Hera raised an eyebrow.

Ezra lifted his chin again and started to recite the rule.

"Once a pet or animal sits, leans or has any kind of contact with you, you are not allowed to move that body part or you will disturb the animal."

"That isn’t a..."

"Yes it is."

Kanan and Hera sighed, they  couldn’t be bothered to argue with Ezra at that moment. Now they had to figure out what to do with all these Lothcats.

It was going to be a long day.