Eddie Kaspbrak | The Best Friend Anyone Could Ask For

English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes.

Requested.

Characters: platonic Eddie/fem!reader, Sonia. Eddie/Richie and Bill/fem!reader is mentioned.

A/N: They're a few years older in this, like 16/17 yo.

Word Count: 1434 words.

(Y/N) was the last one to leave the table, straightening her skirt as she did so. She could feel Eddie rushing to her side as she gave a small smile to his mother. "Dinner was great, Sonia."

She saw Mrs. Kaspbrak giving her a sympathetic smile before Eddie's hand held hers, noticing that Sonia's gaze automatically moved to their hands. "We're staying in my room for a bit, okay mom?"

The woman looked from one to the other before nodding. (Y/N) felt Eddie pulling her lightly before she heard his mother's voice speak loudly behind her. "Leave the door open, you two."

"Okay, mom." Eddie replied without looking back, walking quickly toward his room.

The two of them took a few steps inside his room before letting go of each other's hands. "Jeez, why are you so sweaty?" (Y/N) frowned, wiping her hand. Eddie just grinned at her, shrugging before wiping his own hand on his shorts. "So, what are we doing tonight, Eds?"

She could feel Eddie glaring at her as she sat at a random place on the floor. He could tell her to stop calling him that way as much as he wanted, he knew she wouldn't. The girl just shrugged with a fake sweet smile on her face as Eddie headed toward his closet, taking something from inside.

It was a board game, one that (Y/N) had never heard of. Eddie, however, looked at it with an excited look in his eyes. "How about this?" he asked her, smiling at the game in his hands.

(Y/N) nodded in approval, she wouldn't know if she liked the game until she tried to play. "I can see that our date today is going to be wild."

Eddie snorted at that, but he nodded with a smile on his face as he made his way back to her, sitting across from her and placing the board between them. "It has to be, our one-year anniversary is coming up."

(Y/N) raised her eyebrows, surprised. "Really? I hadn't noticed we'd been together for that long."

Eddie nodded, sharing the same surprise she was feeling. The boy shook his head, staring at the board in front of him, focusing on the game. "You've probably never heard of this game, so I'll explain it to you."

(Y/N) nodded, but even though Eddie and (Y/N) tried to push that away, they couldn't. A year was a long time, well, at least for the kind of relationship they had.

(Y/N) and Eddie didn't exactly have a regular relationship. They loved each other, after all, they were best friends, but that's all they really had: friendship. They were both friends since they were little and this seemed to make Eddie comfortable to confide to her his sexuality and the fears that came with it.

The girl couldn't remember exactly how that idea had come to them, but a year ago their fake relationship started. The only thing she really remembered was that it had something to do with the fear Eddie felt about his mother finding out, with the fear of what she would do after that. Eddie didn't remember that much either, but he was grateful for everything (Y/N) did for him in that one-year period. She was the best friend anyone could ask for.

Only one person knew that their relationship wasn't true. Richie, a good friend of them both, well, to Eddie he was a little more than just a good friend. Eddie and Richie had started dating around two months ago, but their relationship was a secret that only the three of them knew about.

Richie still seemed to be adjusting to this whole thing. And after two hours playing that board game, that was what Eddie and (Y/N) were talking about, sitting with their backs leaning on his bed.

Earlier that day, Richie seemed to have completely forgotten that his and Eddie's relationship was secret, almost going to kiss the boy when the losers met in the quarry. Luckily, Richie had managed to convince his friends that he was just messing around when he realized what he'd almost done and no one talked about it anymore.

"I'm glad he can shrug anything off with a bad joke." (Y/N) commented, to which Eddie nodded. The girl tapped her finger on the floor subconsciously, turning her head toward him. "Don't you think about telling them?"

"I don't know if I should. I know they are my friends and that they would probably support me, but..." he shook his head. "My life is such a mess." he sighed, looking at her. "I'm sorry for dragging you into this."

She gave him a comforting smile. "Don't worry, Eddie, it's okay."

"I know it's not."

The girl frowned. "What do you mean?"

He gave his are-you-serious face to her. "C'mon, (Y/N)." she continued to look confused at him, making him roll his eyes with a smirk on his face. "Even Richie noticed the way you look at Bill."

(Y/N) felt herself freezing when he said that, not because her crush on the Denbrough boy had been discovered, but for fear of being obvious about it in front of the others. "Do you think anyone else noticed?"

"No." he chuckled, waiting for her reaction to the next thing he would say. "But it's written on his face that he likes you too."

(Y/N)'s eyes widened and she nearly choked on her own saliva - which made Eddie laugh out loud - but then narrowed her eyes. Was he making fun of her? "Are you telling the truth?"

"Of course I am." he said, a smile still on his face. "Have you ever noticed how he gets jealous when we're together?"

(Y/N) shook her head, a small, embarrassed smile on her lips. "No... I thought he never seemed to be interested in me."

"Well, he is, but tries to hide." the girl suppressed the smile of widening on her face, feeling her heart beating faster with the thought that Bill liked her. "To him, you're my girlfriend and we're in love or something like that."

(Y/N) nodded, lowering her gaze to her lap, knowing that Bill would never make a move on her with her being Eddie's girlfriend. "Yeah."

An uncomfortable silence fell between them in the next few seconds, the mood becoming somehow awkward after this conversation. The Kaspbrak boy looked at (Y/N), noticing her sad eyes. "I'm sorry pretending to be my girlfriend gives you that kind of trouble." he nudged her gently. "You know we can stop this any time you want, right?"

(Y/N) looked at him, shaking her head. "Not until you feel comfortable telling your mother about it." she smiled at him, holding his hand in hers, showing him comfort. "I got your back, Eds." he didn't seem annoyed to hear her say his nickname this time, a small smile appearing on his face. He'd never doubted it."Besides, Richie knows we're not really dating, we could tell Bill too."

He gave her a chuckle, squeezing her hand. "Sure."

She squeezed his hand back. "Sure."

A silence fell between them again, but this time it wasn't uncomfortable, in fact, that was the most comfortable silence the two of them had ever witnessed. It wasn't long after that for their date to end, Eddie leading her to the door of his house to say goodbye to her.

"See you tomorrow?" Eddie nodded at her and she leaned toward him, kissing his cheek, before turning to his mother, who was watching them from the living room. "Bye, Mrs. K."

The woman waved at her, making (Y/N) smile. The girl winked playfully at Eddie, making him chuckle before she turned to leave. He didn't close the door immediately, however, watching her walk down the sidewalk to the end of the street.

"I like her, Eddie. She's a nice girl." he heard his mother say, but he didn't turn to her.

(Y/N) was a nice girl and he'd known that since the day he'd met her when they were both kids. Since then she'd done so many things that proved just how a good friend she was, pretending to be dating him was only one small thing among many others. She always put his happiness in front of hers and he admired her so much for that. Eddie was grateful for her and for everything she'd done. She really was the best friend anyone could ask for.

"Yes, she is."