52 Fifty Two

When she calms down a bit she asks me.
N-Don't tell anyone.
-I won't but, why would you work here?
N-It was half by accident. They told me it was going to be only serving the drinks at the bar and that I would be safe from everyone behind stacking the bottles where no one would see me but then they asked me to get them their drinks and then to dance and I don't know when it turned so out of control but the only thing I know for sure is that I can't get out now.
-Why don't you quit if you don't like it?
N-Because I signed a contract.
-Then I'll take care of that for you. Would you at least let me help you with that?
She nods and I give her my jacket to cover herself and I fix everything with her boss. He let's her go without much fight and he promises to keep a low profile and forget about her in exchange for a few dollars. I come back with Nova and I take her to a hotel with me so dad and mom or Karai don't see her like that. I keep an eye on her as she sleeps all the way until morning.
                          Hera POV
I don't know if to be angry or worried at Karma and Nova as I see neither of them is on their room when I go check them so they join in for breakfast. I call Hades and he's at my side in a fraction of a second.
Ha-Where are they?
-I was going to ask you that same thing. You didn't got any message or calls last night?
Ha-No, did you asked Karai?
-Will do.
Just as I'm about to ask Karai the front door opens and I see as they both enter I turn to hug them both.
-Where were you? Why didn't you called?
N-I forgot my phone.
Ka-Mine died. Sorry, I forgot to call you.
Ha-At least you're fine.
I frown and I turn to Nova.
-What happened to you?
N-Huh?
I take her wounded hand and I point it out and she frowns fearfully.
N-Is nothing really.
She takes her hand away and I leave it at that and we forget about everything just happy that she's speaking and smiling together with us again. The days pass and everything is good and calm until one day at dinner, Karma speaks.
Ka-I have a race tomorrow. Will you go see me?
Ha-Sure, we'll be there.
-We haven't seen you ride lately. It will be good.
Ha-What are you riding on this time.
Ka-Is similar to the one you saw the first time I ride. Only this time is longer. Instead of all morning is all day. From eight in the morning until five in the evening. Ten hours to test endurance. Two riders for team.
N-I'm sure you'll be victorious. Karai will be there as well.
We go to sleep early and I go to sleep just after making sure the kids are asleep as well. I turn to sleep by Hades's side and he kisses me goodnight.

Nightmare
I find myself having a picnic with Hades and the children at Astoria park and we are eating and playing around when I start to feel uneasy.
-Hades, did you felt that?
Ha-Felt what?
I wave my hand at him dismissing the topic thinking is my imagination but I feel it again and again each time stronger than before and when I stand up I look as Karma and Nova disappear and then Karai and when I turn to get Hades I start to feel as if something pulls me away from him. I try to speak but my voice won't come out, I struggle to reach out for him but I can't reach him. I watch as he disappears slowly and I start to cry and I call out crying and then I wake up.

Awake (Nightmare over)
I jolt up sweating and panting and I let out a scream of fear.
-NO!!!
Hades jolts awake at my scream and I keep still for a moment before I start to cry not being able to recall even why I'm crying, just left with an immense feeling of sadness over me.
Ha-Hera, what is it? What happened? Why are you crying?
I touch my face confirming the tears and I look at him unable to speak a word and I just hug him shaking. He hugs me back giving me kisses and reassuring me with comforting words and rubbing my back gently until I calm down enough.
Ha-Can you tell me what happened?
-I, I can't remember. Perhaps is best that way, I won't have to remember the same thing again.
Ha-Perhaps. Come now, let's get back to sleep.
We tangle in each other and he hugs me tightly and I let myself relax on his arms and let sleep take me once more.
The next morning when I wake up the nightmare is forgotten and we get ready to go see Karma race. When we get there we are as always, granted VIP access and we go to the pits where they are getting the bike and the riders ready. We see as Karma gets dressed only halfway through and we see as he gets a drink of an energy drink and then he spot us and he smiles widely. He hugs us tightly obviously happy that we're there.
Ka-You made it.
Ha-Of course we did. We wouldn't miss it for anything. Not after we promised we'll be here.
He hugs me tightly lifting me up for a moment before he goes back. I notice an injection on his arm and I point it out.
-What's that?
Ka-This is the IV. It keeps me hydrated and healthy so I don't black out on the race.
We look at him and he goes away to talk with the other rider. Nova comes towards us and she kisses us both as well.
N-He's trying to go first but I already specified he won't be the one opening the race. He'll drive second.
Sure enough we see as Karma groans but he lies down on a chair as he makes a face. Nova shows us the best places to sit and she goes towards him.
N-Come on, stretch out so you don't strain any muscles.
He stretches for a bit and the race starts and then they turn to watch their rider and Karma growls in anger obviously not pleased.
Ka-Please, I can go faster than that. He knows he has to be amongst the top ten before the first fifteen laps doesn't he?
N-Of course he does.
Ka-Ugh, at that rate we will end up in last place. Tell him to pick up the pace or we will be left behind and last. I want to win the race. By the love of....
N-Karma, zip it. Sit down and cool down.
Ka-But I want to see the race.
N-Then watch in silence or go inside and wait.
Karma keeps silent for a while but he can't and he goes inside cursing in Greek. After a couple more laps she turns to him.
N-Karma get ready, your shift is about to come on the next lap.
Ka-Finally.
He starts getting ready and when he's ready he comes to wait for the bike to be passed on to him. The other rider cones in and gives him the bike and he hops on and goes back to the race as fast as lightning. Nova starts the treatment on the other rider and she cones back out and when she sees Karma driving recklessly she gets angry as she taps her foot against the floor a couple times. In one turn we see as his shoulder almost touches the ground and Nova let out a sigh of relief as he doesn't crashes. When he comes back after his laps they switch drivers and Nova gives him the same treatment all while scolding him.
N-What were you thinking? You know better than to go that low on the turns. Is dangerous and you can crash sooner. You scared me, don't do that again.
Ka-I won't, if slowpoke there doesn't gets us too far behind.
N-You won't do it either way.
The other turn comes and we see as Karma hops on once more and goes back to the race and after a few laps we see as a crash happens in the very front, for a moment I'm afraid for him as he has to evade the flying bike and we see as the other riders pass by the side of the fallen rider by the sides and then on the other turn Karma accelerates and gets on first place and then the unexpected happens. We see as Karma takes the fallen rider by the arm and gets her on front of him on his lap. He hugs her tightly as she is unconscious now. We hear the speaker over the microphone.
Staff-Oh my god, I don't believe this, it looks like rider number two took the fallen driver number four and he puts her on his lap. What an action ladies and gentlemen. I don't know if he can manage to drive with her in arms, do a close up on him.
They do a close up on Karma and that's when everybody notices that the rider is unconscious.
Staff-I don't know what his intentions are but he doesn't seem to be coming back to the pits anytime soon. He drives fast and with only one hand on the, oh my god, will he be able to keep this up? Will he be able to stay in first place while holding her? He sure doesn't seem bothered at all by her. Is like she's not even there.
Karma keeps holding her with one arm tightly around her keeping her close to him while with his other he drives the bike. He manages to maintain first place until he gets to the pits and he immediately gets the rider to her own pit before he comes back to his own to get the treatment. Nova smiles at him as she gets everything going on. In a moment Karma speaks.
Ka-Why are you crying? I'm not hurt or anything.
N-You idiot, I'm not crying because of that.
Ka-Then what?
N-I'm crying because you are so kind hearted. You saved that rider and got her back safe. You never cease to amaze. What were you thinking?
He laughs at that before he speaks again.
Ka-Well, at first it was more out of instinct but then I just kept on with it. I realized I couldn't leave her there to be crushed by another rider and since the rescue team couldn't get to her I thought maybe I could get her to them on the rider switch and that's exactly what I did.
The race keeps on going and they do the switches diligently and as the last turn approach I see as Karma gets ready to make the final laps and as they switch the other rider stops him by the arm and speaks seriously.
Rider-The handle is giving a bit of trouble, be careful when turning.
Ka-Got it, thanks slowpoke.
He goes away at full speed and he surpasses all the riders easily but when he goes to take the turn he slides through and almost hits the wall and he falls to last place and he hops on again trying to recover all the lost ground. Nova gets her hands on her head obviously troubled.
N-Oh no, this is bad.
We see as Karma drives recklessly moving in front of the other riders and in one turn he manages to get back to first place and he keeps it up until on the last lap, as he's making the last turn he takes it to close to the ground and he has difficulty getting straight again. He manages to gets in first place but he has trouble stopping the bike. I hear as Nova speaks through her earphone to him.
N-Karma, talk to me, what's happening?
Her expression turns shocked as she hears and then the worst happens. Karma loses control and he crashes and the crowd gasps in horror and we hear Nova crying out loud for him.
N-KARMA!!!!!!!!