14

L I L Y

L I L Y

I let out a quiet sneeze and go to grab a tissue, only to see that i'm out.

"Masey!"

I hear his footsteps rushing up the stairs and he soon bursts through my bedroom door. He looks me over for any sign of injury and sighs in relief after seeing that i'm not hurt. "Yes princess?"

"Can you please bring me some more tissues?"

His eyes widen. "Of course, i'll be right back." And then he rushes out of my bedroom

I giggle at how worried he is.

This is how he's been treating me for the past two days. Like i'm a baby. I don't mind, but he's overreacting just a bit. Especially since i'm not even that sick, it's just a cold. Mason's acting like i'm dying

When my parents found out how I got sick, they were pretty upset. Especially with Mason. They almost didn't let me see him again.

They changed their minds when Mason promised it wouldn't happen again and that he'd be extra careful. Plus he said he'd take care of me while i'm sick.

My bedroom door opens once again and Mason walks over to me.

"Here baby." He hands me the box of tissues.

I mumble a 'thank you' and take the box.

After sneezing a few more time, I look up at Mason.
"When can I go back to school?"

He takes a seat on the bed beside me. "I don't know Lil, you're still pretty sick."

I smile sheepishly. "How about tomorrow?"

He chuckles and shakes his head. "No."

"But I feel much better. Please!?" I grab onto his hand and tug on it.

He sighs and looks down at me apologetically. "I'm sorry sweetheart, but you're still not healthy enough."

I pout and remove my hands from his, before I lay down and cover myself with the blankets.

I feel him scoot closer. "Lily..." He trails off warningly. I continue to ignore him. "Dammit." I hear him mumble under his breath. I almost giggle at that. "I'm not giving in this time Lily. You shouldn't go to school like this. I can almost guarantee that you're parents would say the same."

The dip in the bed suddenly disappears, letting me know that he's not next to me anymore.

I frown but remain under the covers, feeling stubborn.

After a few seconds of silence, I become curious. I slowly peak my head outside of the blanket to see that Mason's back is facing me and he's looking down at his phone.

Maybe I really made him angry.

"Masey?"

He doesn't acknowledge me and instead continues to look at his phone. I furrow my eyebrows and reluctantly uncover myself so I can stand up from the bed. I take slow steps until i'm right behind him, to where I can reach my hand out and place it on his lower back. He tenses.

"Mason?" I repeat quietly, though he still continues to ignore me.

I feel tears forming in my eyes but I hold them in. I walk in front of him so I can now see his face as he looks at something on his phone with his eyebrows furrowed.

I stand on my tippy toes to try and see what he's doing on it, but he just sends me a small glare and moves his phone away from me.

"Mason, i-i'm sorry for ignoring you." I tug on his shirt. "Mason." I whine, when he still doesn't answer.

He suddenly moves away from me and walks over to the other side of my room.

A single tear rolls down my cheek at his actions. Being sensitive is not fun.

I turn around and rush into my bathroom, closing and locking the door behind me. I take a seat on the ground in the corner.

I didn't mean to make him upset.
I just want to go back to school.
Sitting around and doing nothing is boring.

M A S O N

My eyes widen. Shit.

Now she thinks i'm actually mad at her.

Well, I was a little upset with her before, but now I realize I went too far, even if she was ignoring me first.

I put my phone in my pocket and walk over to the bathroom door. I attempt to open it but i'm stopped by the lock.

I softly knock on the wood so I don't startle her. "Lily?" When she doesn't answer, I knock again but this time a little harder. "I'm sorry for ignoring you." I hear her sneeze and can't help but frown. "Can you open the door for me Lils?"

It's quiet for a few seconds before the door is unlocked, allowing me to push it open. Once I do, I spot Lily standing a few feet away from me, nervously playing with her fingers.

I walk over, pull her into my chest, and kiss the top of her head. "I'm sorry, I just don't like it when you give me the silent treatment. You know i'm only trying to do what's best for you Lil."

She leans her head on me and wraps her arms around my waist. "I-I know. You aren't mad at me?"

I chuckle and shake my head. "I could never be mad at you...but trust me when I say that going back to school isn't a good idea. We don't need you getting worse before you can even get better."

I feel her nod against my chest. "Okay."