Part 1: Reuniting With an Old Friend

Location: Amazon Rainforest
-July 27th, 2006-

Bugs and other insects fill the humid air with a multitude of sounds. Part of you regrets choosing you explore the Amazon in one of its hottest months, and you question your luck because over the past few days, it hasn't rained nearly the amount it usually does at this time of the year. It's rained enough to leave moisture in the air, though, and create a wet heat that is far worse than the dry heat of any desert you've been in.

Pulling out your water bottle from the side of your travel bag, you open the lid and take several sips. The coolness of the liquid is refreshing in your dry mouth, and you close your eyes for a second to just appreciate it. Once you leave the forest, you're going to chug as much water as you can. You're also going to sleep in a bed and get proper rest for once. A sleeping bag isn't exactly convenient for a good night's sleep.

You put the cap back on your water bottle and slip it away. Might as well keep moving. As long as you didn't go off the path you decided to follow, you should be somewhere in the part of the forest in Ecuador right now. Another day or two of traveling, and you'll be out.

The thought is enough to rejuvenate your energy, and you set off again.

"A German U-Boat?" My eyebrows furrow as I approach the watercraft stranded in the middle of a river in the Amazon Rainforest. "Probably got sent up river during a flood."

I dive into the blue water, a cool sensation surrounding my body as I become fully submerged. I swim against the current, looking for a way onto the boat. 'I could probably scale the rocks and pull myself up onto the ledge' I note while swimming over to the rock wall the boat is stuck in. I find an edge on the wall to grip and reach up with my left hand, pulling myself up. I plant my right foot on part of the rock that isn't slippery, lifting myself the rest of the way out of the water.

I quickly start to climb up, gaining some leverage to stand on, before sliding across the thin edge to where I can jump. 'Here goes nothing' I sigh before jumping off the ledge onto the U-Boat.

I roll when I hit the ground, lessening the impact my body takes. "Now I'm all wet," I mutter, jogging across the top of the boat and over to the bridge of it.

I jump and pull myself on top of it then drop down into the control room for the boat. "Nothing yet," I whisper while turning around and walking down the back corridor.

I step through a vault-shaped opening and walk over to the sealed door. The rusted wheel on the metal door catches my attention and I give it a few tugs, loosening the wheel up, before spinning it and pulling open the door.

I step through the opening and walk over to a hole in the floor in the back of the room. I drop down, glancing around the dark corridor, when a morbid smell fills my nostrils. My nose scrunches up in disgust and I grab my flashlight off my belt and turn it on, the light shining on a decomposed body lying between the open door that splits the corridor. "Disgusting," I scoff and nudge the body, knocking a few coins from its pocket.

I pick one up and examine it, 'weird it's Spanish Gold... I wonder what the Germans were hiding' I frown, tucking the coin in my pocket, before standing up and making my way to the end of the corridor.

I spin the wheel on the sealed door and pull it towards me, opening the heavy door. I shine my flashlight around the dark room, finding that much of it is filled with water. 'Seems I'm swimming' I click my tongue and turn off the flashlight. I place it back on my belt and start to wade part way through the water before swimming the rest of the way over to a ladder.