Part 4: A Step Closer to the Treasure

[Name]'s POV

"It's most likely just an animal," Nate reassures me, but even he doesn't sound too convinced.

I shake my head and look into his eyes, "Nate, believe me. Whatever's watching us isn't an animal. I haven't even seen one bird in this forest since we entered it. I don't know what was watching us, but we're in danger... more so than usual."

"Then let's just find Sully and get out of this damn forest."

"I have to agree. For how much I want to continue the search for this treasure, I'm beginning to think that it's best if it remains missing. There's something very off here."

Nate rubs my shoulders reassuringly, before we walk over to Elena who's taken a seat on some stone stairs. "Everything okay, [Name]?" she asks and I fake a smile.

"Yeah, I just had some questions for Nate."

Her eyes narrow, trying to detect a lie, but she accepts my answer and stands up. We make our way up the stone steps to find a mercenary waiting at the top for us. I shoot him with my pistol when a red light shines in my eyes. "Crap!" I shout and dive out of the way of the shot. I shoot the guy with the laser insert on his gun before looking at my friends, "Keep your head down!"

They nod and I shuffle over to a pillar, pressing my back up against it so I'm not visible to the enemies. Nate and Elena take cover behind a barricade next to the pillar I'm pressed up against and we exchange fire with the mercenaries.

My two friends take out the two men at the top of a staircase while I kill the one who peeks out from behind his cover. We come out from behind cover when another mercenary with laser sight on his gun appears on the staircase. I run to the next pillar and press my back up against it while cocking my pistol. I turn and lean my side against the pillar, before leaning out slightly and shooting the guy in the head.

"Roman and Navarro can't be too far off if they've left their guard dogs at the gate," Nate says while we walk up the staircase, stepping over the dead mercenaries.

We walk through some tall grass and up some more stairs that take us on the path to the monastery. The building comes into sight and we approach it, but quickly press our backs up against a stone fence when two mercenaries show up below us.

"Go ahead," one of the mercenaries says into his walkie-talkie.

"I want the library secure. Don't let them get to Sullivan," I hear Navarro's voice through the walkie-talkie.

"Yes sir," the mercenary responds while the other one walks ahead of him. He puts his radio away and catches up to the mercenary in front of him. "They've got the old man working on the east side of the complex."

"I don't even know why they brought him along. That bastard can't be trusted," the other guy responds and I slide down and lay on the ground, blending in with the tall grass.

I pull out my sniper rifle and kill the two mercenaries, and Nate and Elena jump off the ledge and onto the ground. Two mercenaries with laser sight come out from the corridor in the back and I take one of them out with my rifle while Nate takes out the other one.

I stand up and jump down onto the ground below, joining Elena and Nate. We walk through the corridor and into a courtyard with a giant fountain in the middle. We look around and Elena shivers slightly. "I've got a bad feeling about this place."

I nod in agreement and put my sniper rifle away, pulling out my pistols instead. Nate looks at me and frowns, "I agree with you. Let's just find Sullivan and get the hell out of here."

An explosion goes off and I quickly take cover behind a barrier, cocking my guns in case there's a fight. Nate and Elena find their own covers, and I peek out and shoot two mercenaries across from me in a dark hallway. They fall to the ground, dead, and I shoot another man on a landing across from me. He yells while falling down and cracking his head open on the pavement below.