Part 20: The Saint Dismas Graveyard

[Name]'s POV

I step onto the gravelly slope and start to slide down, avoiding the trees that grow out of the ground. I land in the grass below, standing up and wiping the gravel off the back of my pants.

"Whoo! Burns a little," Nate chuckles while joining my side.

"Well, those are fun," Sam laughs and adjusts his jacket collar.

"Yeah, well there's another one ahead," Harry sighs, and I slide down first.

Once I'm near the edge, I jump off and grab the ledge on the cliffside across from the slope. "Be careful with the jump!" I call out over my shoulder while climbing up the rocks and to the left.

"He's paying us double to wipe them out- all except for the girl," a mercenary below me says, making my eyes widen in slight shock.

"What's so special about her anyway?" a different mercenary asks, his voice sounding younger than the first.

"Rumors are they have a past and he cares about her, loves her even," a third mercenary responds.

"Really? I didn't know that American even knew what those two words meant," the second guys chuckles.

"He surprised us all by the orders," the third guy states.

"So, it's understood that we try to keep the girl alive?" the first mercenary asks.

"You go where the money leads you," the third mercenary replies.

"That's cold," the second one responds and they walk through a snowy path.

Nate, Harry, and Sam catch up to me and we go silent so they won't hear us. "It gets colder. I'm gonna take a leak while you educate our young recruit here," the leader of the other two Shoreline mercenaries says and breaks away from his group.

He walks into the tall grass below me, and I drop down and slam my fists down on the back of his neck, killing him instantly. "Nice one," Sam whispers and him, Nate, and Harry drop down and land beside me in the grass.

"Let's try to take them all out with stealth. There's four of us, so it shouldn't take too long as long as we don't get caught," Nate whispers, and him and Harry move forward and take out the two mercenaries that talk to each other on the snowy path.

"I'll get the ones on the stone ruins," I whisper while the guys scatter off in different directions around the grassy/snowy plain.

I jump up and grab the edge of the platform of one of the ruins, and I grab the guy at the top and throw him off into the grass below. I climb onto the platform and quietly move across it, jumping to the edge of the floor across from me. I grab it and one of the mercenaries walks over and stands above me. I grab the barrel of his gun and pull it down, bringing him over the edge and cracking his skull open below me.

I peek up to see more mercenaries ahead of me, making a frown cross my face. I climb onto the floor and take cover behind an equipment case, listening as footsteps approach me. One mercenary walks through a crumbled archway and looks over a half-wall across from me.

I look out to see none of the other men looking, and I rush forward and kick him over the wall to his death. I quickly move to my right and take cover by the wall with the archway in it, peeking around the corner to see where the rest of the mercenaries are positioned.

One of the men stands on the walkway with his back to the edge, and I drop down off the side of the floor, holding onto the edge and stealthily moving until I'm under him. I grab the back of his shirt and pull him over the edge when none of the other men are looking. He cracks his head open on the ground below me, and I pull myself onto the walkway, taking cover behind a container and looking around it to see a guy walking over to another archway.