This Is What It Takes

[ The day that she was born was the day he wished she'd never existed ]

ooo

The cawing of crows could be hear as they flew overhead and everything was still, saved for the few small creatures scurrying about in the woods. In the middle of it all, a girl with silver blue hair stood while exhaling tired huffs of breath. Her eyes were closed as she tried to sense for a certain presence, but she furrowed her brows when several moments passed and she got nothing. Ugh. After all these attacks he suddenly went hide-and-seek on me!

With a cluck of her tongue, she opened her eyes to reveal striking ruby orbs with the right one swirling with a white marking resembling a dial. That should up my chances of finding him at least, she thought as she quickly made her way towards the direction of her target. Jumping from one low branch to another to avoid the prickly underbrush, she let her legs move as if she was being led. A flash of black and white caught the corner of her eyes and she smirked widely.

...Gotcha!

However, finding someone and catching someone was two different things. The man was still too fast for her to catch up. Growling, this time her left eye swirled with the same marking but black and the branch that her target was jumping to cracked and crumbled under his weight, faltering his movements momentarily. This allowed her to get close enough to propel her leg towards him for a gut kick.

"Take this!" she shouted, but at that split second, the white bandages around the man's neck shot forward towards her. Her left eye immediately began to swirl again and she redirected her foot while the other one kicked up, but he was still one step ahead of her and restrained it with his bandages. Not wanting to give up just yet despite running out of steam, she forced herself to concentrate fully at her capture as her eyes started to glow. However, before she could do anything, her capture activated his own Quirk and her ruby eyes abruptly faded back to normal.

Finding what was left of her power leave her body, she allowed herself to dangle upside down in defeat and blew at a lock of hair that was sticking to her cheek from the sweat.

The man, hanging onto a branch himself, lowered both of them to the ground safely before blinking again. He pulled out a stopwatch from his pocket and before the girl spoke another word, he showed her the numbers on the small device.

"5 minutes and 43 seconds. It took you longer to find me than usual and your moves lagged, Shiro."

"It's hard keeping up with all of your bandages whipping around and your totally unfair Quirk that keeps canceling out mine every time I use it," the girl huffed with arms crossed. "I was running out of energy."

"That's precisely why I told you to use your Quirk wisely. That last ditch effort would've depleted your energy completely and left you out in the open for more attack. You need to incorporate more of your physical strength," Aizawa Shota droned with boredom. "At this rate, you won't be able to keep up with the other examinees. Your potential is questionable at this point. Drop out of the exam."

"As if!" Shiro stuck her tongue out at her mentor and guardian. He simply looked at her coldly before turning to head out of the woods. Following behind with a skip, she vowed to defeat him one day. "First I'll pass the exam with flying colors, and then I'll become a Pro Hero before you can blink!"

"I can keep my eyes open for a very long time," he replied.

She snorted at his response and caught up to the man to return home together. People would often be surprised to find that the Pro Hero had raised her from when she was four, since he often expressed how much he disliked kids because they were "annoying and a pain in the ass". It wasn't like he was allowed to refuse anyway because the government ordered for him to take her in for reasons unknown to her, but most likely it was concerning her real family... Shiro couldn't remember anything about them, though. Not having a clue as to what happened to her family was always disheartening, but the feeling always dissipated when she realize just how much Aizawa cared for her in their stead.