Thirteen

I hear a knock on the door so I sit on my bed and grab my phone to check the hour.

6.00 am.

Who is the fuck knocking at this hour?!

I get out of bed when I notice that the noise would not stop.

I open the door and see Shawn.

"What the fuck?" I whisper-yell mad when I saw him.

"Good morning to you too. I'm taking Dylan and Kailani to school" he says obvious.

"Dude, they enter at 8.00, have you seen the clock?" I ask, still half asleep.

"Yeah sorry, I know I should've called before but I thought that we could eat breakfast together" he looks at me with bright eyes and I cross my arms. I don't know why, but it feels weird that he's seeing me in my pyjamas, messy hair and just-woke-up face.

"Who's 'we'?" I frown my brows.

"The four of us" he says shyly.

"Are you serious?" I laugh at him.

"Come on, I thought everything was fine between us"

"Fine? You left for fucking six years" I say.

"But it wasn't because I wanted to, I told you exactly what happened" he says frustrated.

"That it wasn't your decision doesn't change the fact that you left me alone. I'm sorry but I'm still processing everything" I hold back the need to cry. I don't want to cry any more.

"Kaylee I'm... I'm so sorry. I don't know what to do for you to forgive me" he looks at the floor.

"Whatever, come in, it's freezing here" I move to one side so he can enter.

"No it's not freezing, you're just always cold" he shrugs and I decide to ignore him.

"I usually wake them up at six-forty-five so they have enough time to eat something before going, but if you want to go and wake them now, go ahead" I point at the hallway and he nods.

"Thank you" he gives me a small smile before walking away.

"Whatever" I roll my eyes. His presence annoyed me for some reason, but at the same time it made me happy that he was here, even if I didn't want to admit that to him or myself for that matter. Also I just woke up and I hate it when someone wakes me so for his bad luck, I'm moody.

"Get your coffee, you're not yourself without caffeine" he says funny looking at me.

"Go away before I slap you" I look at him with daring eyes.

"Slap the Canadian out of me?" He says still funny.

"What?" I ask confused as I begin to put my hair up in a messy bun.

"You used to say that to me all the time whenever I annoyed you" I could hear nostalgia in his words.

"Then you know you already did, get out" I point to the kitchen's door and this time he really goes to my kids' room.

How did he remember that? I mean, I can't believe he does.

"Daddy!" I hear how Kailani yelled happy. I smile at her raspy morning voice.

Ten minutes later they come into the kitchen already dressed for school.

"Good morning, mummy" Dylan says and I hunker down to kiss his cheek.

"Mummy, look! Daddy came to eat breakfast with us" Kailani says excited and runs to grab Shawn's hand. I smile at her and Shawn chuckle.

"Yeah, he was not very polite coming at six in the morning but he's here" I say sarcastically.