One Shot

"And yes I still don't understand
It's not anything we planned
Kind of makes you think it's meant to be (it's a destiny)
I always knew the day would come
You'd stop crawling, start to run
Beautiful as beautiful can be

Caterpillar in the tree
How you wonder who you'll be
Can't go far but you can always dream
Wish you may and wish you might
Don't you worry, hold on tight
I promise you there will come a day
Butterfly fly away"

TRIGGER WARNING

{July}

After I wish him luck, I go out of his dressing room and walk down the hallways of the Rogers Centre, that by now I know like the back of my hand, and head to my seat.

"How is he?" Kailani asks me.

"Nervous" I say with a sigh.

"Of course." she chuckles "He cares way too much" I nod at her and give her a warm smile.

"It's his passion, you're the same with journalism" I jokingly poke her ribcage with my elbow.

"That reminds me, guess what I got?" I shake my head letting her know that I just want her to tell me the news. "The promotion! The one I talked to you about like a month ago which I wanted so badly? I can now say goodbye to interviews and get to write columns" she jumps in her place and my heart feels warm, full of joy and pride for my daughter.

"Honey, that's amazing! I knew you would get it" I wrap my arms around her neck and so does she. "I am so proud of you, Kai" I feel a knot forming in my throat and actually let out a few tears of happiness.

"Ma, don't cry" she chuckles.

"I'm sorry, you'll understand when you're a mum" I say with a casual shrug.

"I bet I will, I've got your heart, remember?" She mocks the words her dad always uses and I nod at her.

"Of course you do" I stroke her arm up and down.

"But listen, this promotion had a condition" she nervously tells me.

"And what was it?" I look worried at her and wait for her to speak.

"If I truly want it, I have to move to Amsterdam" I feel my heart drop for a second and when she sees my expression she continues talking "There's where the main offices are and, well, you know how much I love this-"

"Darling, you don't have to explain anything to me. Just do whatever makes you happy, even if that includes you moving out of the country, just follow your heart because it knows what's best for you" I give her a reassuring smile and she leans to hug me again.

"I love you, you're the best mother in the entire universe"

"You know when are you going? And does Noah know?"

"Of course he knows, ma. He's very happy and excited to move there, you know how supportive he's with me. We're going in September"

Before I can reply, the lights go down and with that the crowd starts to go crazy and scream his name as he comes out on stage. For the second time tonight my heart flutters with happiness and again I drop a couple tears before jamming to one of his biggest hits.

An hour into the show he gets all serious, stroking softly the strings of his guitar so it creates a background melody while he speaks.

"I grew up knowing what true love is, looking at my parents being in their own private bubble of love and passion made me understand that love is the little things in life. How my mother stayed up late at night making grilled cheese sandwiches for my dad when he was busy working on a new single and how she was up the next day early -very, very early- because baby cryings had woke her up and she was going to make breakfast so my sister and I could go to school afterwards. How my dad fought for my mum for years so he could be with her, he almost gave up his career because the control of the house and her work was too much weight on my mum's shoulders and she needed help. After she had three miscarriages, her next pregnancy seemed to go very well in the very beginning, until she had to abort the baby and they had to remove her damaged uterus as that last pregnancy was extrauterine, this means the embryo was growing outside of her uterus, causing her so much physical pain and also emotional issues, but she didn't mind, I don't recall hearing her complain at least once, she was always there for us to help us with our math homework and to play with us, to make sure there was always warm food on our table and she always had a smile on her face." I feel Kailani's hand reaching for mine and she squeezes it tightly to comfort me as I feel the memories flooding back in my mind.