Thirty six

I hear an awkward noise and feel the place kind of cold. I try to open my eyes but I can't, I try to move and look for something that can make that noise stop but I won't even shake, not even a bit. I try and scream, but my mouth won't open, not even my throat would make a sound.

"Hey, darling" I heard a voice of a woman next to me. That's not my mum's voice, not even from someone I know. Who is she? Why does she call me 'darling'? Where am I? "I'm just going to check on you and change your serum" Serum?

«Where am I? What's going on?» I pointlessly try to speak, but not even a sound came out of my mouth, instead, the annoying sound became faster and louder, hurting my ears every second.

"No no, darling. You have to stay calm, you're making your heart race faster and that's not good for you if you want to wake up" she nicely said to me.

«Wake up? I'm awake! Don't you hear me trying to talk to you?»

"I'm here!" Another voice fills my ears and this time I know who she is "Oh my god, Kaylee. I'm so sorry" her voice cracks "I called your parents already, they're on their way" Lena said and I can feel her touching my right hand "I came as soon as I heard about the accident" She sobbed "I shouldn't have let you drive when you were tired and drunk" she apologised.

«First of all, I was not drunk, I know my limits and still, I only had two tequila shots. No one's alcohol tolerance is that low, Lena.»

"Miss, you need to get out of here. Visits will be allowed until nine in the morning" the voice of the woman I first heard said sweetly to my friend and I felt her hand letting go of mine.

«Lena, don't! Please don't leave me, I need your help, I need Shawn. Shawn! Someone please call him, I want him to be here! I need him to be here!» Still my pleads were pointless as I couldn't move or speak, I could just hear and breathe.

"Is she going to wake up?" Her voice cracked again.

"I can't answer that just yet, I'm sorry. But we hope she does. Remember: hope is the last thing that dies"

"She will, she's a strong girl" Lena sobbed and then I heard the door being closed, leaving me alone with the annoying beep sound.

Now I get everything.

After I went out of the club everything happened so fast but I can remember it in detail, every second of it, from when I saw the other car's lights until I saw nothing else but darkness.

How long is it going to take until I wake up? More likely, will I ever wake up?

What would happen when I wake up? What would happen if I don't? Who would I see first if I do? Would Shawn be holding my hand at the moment I open my eyes? Or will I be all alone in the room?

[...]

"Come on, baby. You've got to open your eyes. It's been a whole week, I miss those big brown eyes that, thankfully, you got from me" my dad jokes as he holds my hand.

It's been a week. A week of me being steady. A week of me being completely quiet. A week of having my eyes shut. A week of only wondering what is going on out in the world. A week of being in a coma.

Shawn hasn't showed up yet. Does he even know about what happened? Did someone call him and told him about the accident? Is he cancelling his tour just to come and see me? Do our kids know about me? God, our kids, how much I miss them being around, their laugh, their voices, their presence. And Shawn, how much I miss his hugs, his touch, his awful dad jokes. How much I miss them being by my side.

"Hey Mr. Bennet" the voice of the woman I'm already getting used to filled the room "I am just going to hydrate your daughter, is that alright?" She asked sweetly. It's funny how she has to ask for permission for everything she does to me.

"Sure" my dad said in a low voice and next thing I felt was a wet gauze being placed on my dry lips and I thanked the nurse for doing so. Lately I just felt the need of licking my lips to get them wet and at this moment this felt like glory.

"Hey" my heart jumped in excitement when I heard his voice "Can I come in?"

"Sure" my dad said "I will go get some coffee, you want some?"

"No thanks, Sir. Actually, it's late, why don't you go home and get some rest? I can stay the night with Kaylee and I'll let you know if something happens" he said as nice as always.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive. You've been here for three nights straight, I'm pretty sure you miss your bed" my dad sighed.

"You're right kid. Please let me know if something happens"

"I will"

"Goodnight, Cameron"

The door closed and I felt Cam's steps getting closer to me.

"Kaylee, you have to wake up, please. I know I've said this a lot this week but I'm sorry I didn't drive you home that night. Maybe things would be different. It should be me laying on that stretcher, not you. God, I really wish I had gone with you" he held my hand tightly and played with the promise ring that Shawn gave me on my birthday, Lena begged to the nurses to keep it on my finger, she was afraid that someone might lose it and honestly I'm so glad she did, right now this is the only thing that makes me feel close to Shawn. But where the hell is he?

«Don't say that, even if you had come with me that accident would've still happened and the consequences might be the same or even worse. Please don't blame yourself.»

"It's late and I should get some rest, I'll be on the couch a few feet at your right side. Please stay strong, you can do this, you will do this, okay? You're not alone, you have me here, you will always have me here" he kissed the back of my hand and I suddenly feel the need to hold him in my arms.

His phone sounded announcing a call and he picked up almost immediately.

"Hey Lena" he said almost in a whisper "No, she hasn't woken up... Have you called Shawn?" Has she? "Oh yeah, it's actually good you haven't.  You know? I guess it's better if he doesn't know about it just yet" What? No, I want you to call him and bring him here "I mean, we shouldn't scare him or her kids... No, she is going to wake up... Yeah, she can do this, please don't cry... Sure, I'll see you tomorrow... I love you too, kid. Goodnight" he sighed "It was Lena" he tells me "Kaylee, if you're listening, we have all agreed that it'd be better if Shawn and his family don't know about this yet, we don't want to preoccupy him because if you wake up tomorrow we will scare him and your kids for nothing, you know?" He gently explains me "That's why he hasn't come, but you still have me, Lena and your parents. We are all here for you and we all know that you can get through this" he kisses my hand once again and then lets go of it "Now, I'm going to sleep and hope you wake up soon" I hear his steps walking away, probably to the couch he mentioned before and then the room got completely quiet.

_____________
Whoops.