Chapter 31 - Back

It took a day to get back to the village. We reached the main gate in the morning.

The guards ran to us. From outside we looked horrible. Our clothes covered in dust, scratches all over our bodies. Our mental state was even worse.

'What happened?' One of the guards asked. Then he noticed Hayama-sensei. His eyes grew wide. 'Is he...?'

Ashi and Hiroto turned their head down and I nodded.

'Yes.' I answered on a cold tone. They nodded. 'If you don't mind, I go and make our report to Hokage-sama.'

'Sure, do your job as you have to.' The guard said. I left them without any further answer.

When I arrived to the Holage's office, I ran into Shizune.

'Oh, sorry.' I appologised.

'Never mind!' She smiled at me. 'You guys got back from your mission? You look dirty and you have wounds too. Did something happened?'

'Yes. I wanted to make my report to Godaime-sama about it just now.'

'But Ichigo, why are you making the report instead of Hayama?' She was totally confused.

'Because he is no longer able to do it.' I said.

'You mean...?'

I nodded, leaving her. I went to the Hokage's door and entered the room.

'Tsunade-sama, I have something important to tell you.' I said when the door closed behind me.

'Oh, Ichigo! Long time no see!' She smiled at me then looked over me. Her eyes grew wide. 'You look terrible! What happened? Where is Hayama?' She ran to me.

'During our mission... he... died.' It was hard to admit this fact even to myself, but to say it out loud was a completely different thing. I couldn't help that a teardrop ran down my face. 'I sorry.' I said and wiped away my tear.

'I can't belive it! What happened?' She gave me a seat and went back behind her desk. I told her the whole story then dead silence filled the room.

'I will organise his furneal. As you told me, he died as a proud shinobi of Konoha.' Her tone was filled with sadness as she spoke up, then turned to me. 'Ichigo, I want you three to take some days off.'

'But it is more worse to sit at home than to go on a mission!'

'I know, but these are my orders. Dissmissed!'

'Yes, ma'am!' I said and left the office.