5x02 - Meet The Matthews

Cyrus's POV:
Mom led me and my stepdad through a hallway, in front of one of the doors. "So, is this the hotel we're staying in?"

She made a guilty smile. "Sure, you can call it that." She knocked on the door. A nice woman opened it. "Carlie!"

"Topanga!" Both of them shared a hug. "Oh my gosh! You're here!"

"Yes, we are!"

"Come on in. I just made some cheesecake."

"I thought you hated cheesecake."

"I do. But if I see Ava eat cheese again, I'm gonna lose it."

"Who's Ava?" Mom asked.

"Oh. She's Auggie's girlfriend."

She beamed. "Speaking of, how is Auggie?"

"He's really starting to grow up. I'm so proud of him."

"And the immature brat?"

Topanga looked offended. "Carlie! My daughter has done nothing wrong. How could you call her a brat?"

"I was talking about Cory."

"Oh. Umm, yep. Cory has matured much more since you last saw him."

A man stomped into the room. (Cue Applause Track, cause why not?). "Honey! My toy train broke!"

Topanga made a fake smile. "What I said earlier? Yeah, that was a fantasy I really wish came true. A loooong time ago."

Mom laughed. "Look on the bright side. When Auggie leaves for college, you'll still have a kid to take care of."

Topanga started laughing. "So, how were you able to afford to rent a hotel here?"

"We weren't. Can we stay here for the time being?"

I death-stared Mom. "You couldn't have told us this earlier?"

"Well, I didn't want to worry you guys."

"It's fine, Carlie. We have a guest bedroom. It's big enough to fit all three of you. It's just down the hall. I'll get the cheesecake ready for you guys."

Mom and Dad took our bags and headed to the guest room. "So, I don't think we've officially met yet. What's your name?" she asked me.

I looked up suddenly. "Oh. It's Cyrus."

"That's a cool name. What grade are you?"

"I just finished 8th, so I'm going to 9th next year."

"Wow. Freshman already, huh? My daughter and her friends just finished 9th. You should go talk to them. They're super nice. It's the second room on the right."

I smiled and walked to the room. I knocked on the door. "Come in." a voice on the other side said.

I opened in and saw a brunette, wearing a purple kitty dress. (Cue even more applause, because why not?) "Hi. I'm Riley. Are you a new friend?"

I shrugged. "Sure. I'd love to be friends."

"Yay! I'll go find a gift for you."

"No. It's fine. I don't need a gift."

A blonde haired girl barged through the window. (More applause! More! Because why not?!) Hey, Riles." She turned to me. "Who's that?"

"This is Cyrus. He's my new friend."

"Oh, nice. Fresh meat."

Riley nudged the girl. "Maya! Don't be rude."

Maya rolled her eyes. "Fine. So, I'm Maya. I'm pretty chill. But if you cross me, you'll regret it. Got it?"

I took a step back and nodded. Those two are complete polar opposites. "So, you two the only ones?"

Riley shook her head. "Nope. We've got other friends. We'll introduce you when they come over! Ooh! We can have a slumber party!"

Maya rolled her eyes again. "Why do you always have to have a slumber party?"

"Cyrus is our new friend. We have to let him get comfortable around us. If we can't do that, he'll never truly be friends with us."

I chuckled. "A sleepover sounds fun. Well, me and my family are staying over anyways, I think. So I'll be with you guys for a while."

"Yay!" Riley shouted. She took out her phone. "I'm going to invite them to come over tomorrow. Is that fine?"

"Yeah, sure." Man. First day, and I'm already making new friends. Maybe this'll be fun after all.