7x06 - Moving Slow

Buffy's POV:
"Dad, how do I look?" I ask.

He smiles. "Buffy, you look amazing." He took a picture with his Y-Phone camera. "I'm sending this to your mom. She may be overseas, but at the very least, she should be able to see what an incredible hound woman you've grown to be."

"Thanks, dad." I gave him a hug.

"You have fun on your date, okay? And if he treats you wrong, you know what to do, right?"

"Smack him on the head, call him a jerk, do a hair flip, and dramatically walk away."

"Thanks my baby girl. Now, your sister is out of the house right now, so I have some time to catch up on my shows."

I walked out of the house. Here we go. My date with Marty is starting soon.

—————

Jonah's POV:
I comfort Cyrus to the best of my ability. "What's wrong with your dad?" I ask politely.

He's still sobbing, but he's able to make out his words. "I never told you the whole truth. My dad and stepmom hate me because I'm gay. That's why I've been living with my mom and stepdad ever since."

"That's horrible. Your parents are supposed to love you for who you are."

"Clearly, those two didn't get the memo. I should consider myself lucky, I guess. My dad always took his anger out through words, never abuse."

I let him rest his head against my shoulder. He needs this kind of support right now, and unfortunately, Tyson left already. "It's going to be alright. There are more people who support you being gay. You focus on them, and not the jerks."

He wrapped his arms around me, still crying. "Thank you, Jonah."

"It's what I'm here for, Cyrus."

—————

Marty's POV:
I arrived a couple of minutes before Buffy. While waiting, I did the things normal people do. Fixed my collar, checked my breath, and fixed my hair.

Buffy walked across the street and i take a glance at the name. "Cafe Guillard. What is this place?" I ask.

She shrugs. "I don't know. But Andi and Jonah went here when they were dating, and they said it was really good, so I thought we could try here."

I held out my hand for Buffy to hold. "Shall we then, m'lady?"

"Hehe. We shall." She grabbed my hand firmly, and we walked inside.

The waiter seated us, and gave us our menus. "Hello. My name is Gérard. I will be your waiter. Can I get you started with drinks?"

"I'll have iced tea." Buffy said.

I replied, "Lemonade for me."

He wrote down the order. "Alright. Iced tea and lemonade. I'll be back with your drinks. In the meantime, you can look through the menu and decide your main course."

Now, it was just me and Buffy. I don't know why, but it was dead silent at the table. I picked up the fork. "Uhh... this is a nice fork."

"Yeah. That's a really nice fork. Four prongs."

I couldn't hold it in anymore. I burst out laughing. "What is wrong with us?"

She looked a bit confused. "What?"

"Just look at us. We were doing just fine earlier, and then we went on a date, where it's just super awkward."

"We probably both don't want to say something stupid that causes a problem between us."

"Maybe. But why is it only awkward now?"

"Isn't it obvious? We're officially a couple. Back when we were friends, we could say whatever and it wouldn't matter. Now that we're dating, we don't want to accidentally ruin the relationship."

"You're right. But what do we do? I don't want to break up, but I'm not sure I can handle this kind of awkwardness between us."

"I don't think we should break up. We just gotta slow down. We find the level we're comfortable with, and stay there till we're ready."

The waiter came back. "Here you go. Iced tea and lemonade. I'll be right back, and when I return, you may order your food."

As he left, I held up my drink in a toast. "To slowing down?"

She held hers up as well. "To slowing down."

Clink!