13. Save The Date

Allison

Sitting at the dinning room table with cards scattered across the top, a felt tip pen in hand and a list on my left. Kristi isn't here to walk me through this so its nerve wracking.

I stare at the premade wedding announcements. The cream color cards look antique which is the theme of our wedding. On the front reads a quote from C.S Lewis; Now at last they were beginning chapter one of the great story no one on earth has ever read, which goes on forever; in which every chapter is better than the one before.

With antique style drawing for a classic C.S Lewis book, inside read a beautiful greeting for our wedding. With a small picture of Mads and I, the photos which had been sent over yesturday. Mads and I hugged eachother, I looked up at him with a wide smile, as he stared down at me with a grin. The "save the date" posted inside as our wedding was set for October 18th.

The list on my left had the adresses and names of everyone, and by the time I got the 5th person my hand was hurting.

I hear a knock come from the archway, gathering my attention. There he was, the love of my life, standing tall with a grin on his lips and a coffee in hand.

"I could help, you know," he says setting the coffee down for me.

He leans over and kisses my forehead carefully.

"But then you'd start cutting people from the guest list because of random excuses."

He chuckles. "You're absolutely right."

He kisses my forehead again. His lips are so soft but his kiss can be rough.

"So, I was thinking, you and I could go eat dinner at Q's Diner at seven?"

I nod. "That sounds like a good idea."

He begins to walk away, leaving me to the announcements yet again.

After five more cards I develope a rythym and then steady on until one name jumps off the page.

Clearly it was a mistake on my part to put them down.

Mr. And Mrs. Holmes.

My parents are probably having a field day with our wedding announcement that was put in the paper. Will probably hates the idea as well.

I smile even with their names on the list. I did what my mother couldn't; leave. I left the pain and suffering, the abuse both mental and pysichal.

I remember my mom crying, telling me that I wouldn't be able to keep Mads. Crying because I would be like her and that I was only making things more difficult. I knew deep down that I was going to have this happy ending, being with Mads. I knew that we would be able to uphold our love and go through this war, coming out the victors.

I write along the announcement, the curve of my pen in spite.

"I told you so. You're not welcome."

The words make me smile and thus here I am, placing the announcement inside the envelope, about to be sent to my parents. Not an invintation, just something to show them that they failed to ruin me.