31. Drunk

Allison

Laney has been my best friend since senior year of high school when she moved here from Taiwan.

During my senior year my father was one of the many "team members" during the presidential election and thus he was going state to state to get his "friend" elected. My mother was home maybe a week at a time in between her constant vacations to God-knows-where. As for Will, he was continuing his training at some special program thing for police officers in Washington DC, this had been his third year there.

Being just shy of 18 by a month when I met Laney. Laney was ecstatic about partying at my house. Our "parties" consisted of drinking from my dads very unusually large liqeur stock in his bar, and watching 80s films until 4 am.

Laney was my first and only friend. My parents hated the idea of me having friends, their logic was that I come from a sophisticated background and should not be a apart of people who could potentially ruin me. When they found out about Laney they were very oddly okay with it. Their racist stereotypical mindset assuned Laney's smarts would rub off on me; that because she is Asian that she is smart and classy and well manered.

Laney wasn't what they thought but she wasn't a bad kid either. She never went to wild parties or did really hardcore drugs but she drank and smoked marijuana a couple times.

Laney's family, the Liu family, was incredibly welcoming. They treated me like family and for most of senior year I stayed at their home instead of my own. Mr. Liu tutored me in statistics and Mrs. Liu helped me with my AP World History course.

Laney was incredibly smart and by the end of senior year she was accepted to some of the top schools in the country. Laney stayed with the University of Washington because it is one of the best teaching hospitals in the country. I too was accepted to UW and thus we were roomates for Freshman and Sophmore year.

During college Laney helped me find my confidence and thus I soard from being an incredibly awkward and shy girl to a snappy yet seductive outgoing woman. Of course Laney's pushes and words in an almost bullying manar did help me soar, I was pushed back down once my parents began to focus on me for the first time in my life. With Will getting married it was time for their focus to shift to me, controlling me, pushing me into the arms of bad men.

I never really understood Laney's unnatural power to change me, but she did an excellent job. It was a shame her work had gone to waste.

Being in the city, bored out of my mind since Mads was busy with political work, I texted Laney and luckily she was only on call today. We planned to meet at a little cafe and bookstore hybrid where we used to study together in college. She sounded eager to see me and I knew it would be great to ask her to be my second bridesmaid. Laney is most definitely not the maid of honor type which is why I asked Kristi.

I showered, did my hair and makeup and settled on a white and flower patterned off the shoulder sun dress with ruffles on mid thigh end.

I am in the middle of putting on a pair of wicker and white linen wedges. Sitting at the edge of my bed with my phone near me having just ended my  call with Mads. Of course I had to double check with him, it was as it there was an aching and crippling anxiety feeling about not asking for his permission.

There was a small knock on the ajar bedroom door which made me jolt from my seat. Mads could not be home yet...

"Ma'am?" The voice was familiar but I didn't place it. The man who stepped foreward I had only met once. He was our driver who'd driven Mads and I to Sophia's house from the port and then to our penthouse. I was sure he had left with Mads but then again there was two gaurds.