18. Ask Me Anything

Mads

I couldn't believe it. The dogs that lay around the grass, staining it of blood. The grusome scene was enough for Allison to be in a state of pure fear and shock. She was silent, sitting on our couch witb her hand in her lap, staring into space.

I felt the tinge of pain within me as I looked at her. She was scared and all I wanted was to take this fear away from her.

"Most of them were stabbed, some had broken necks. I updated the agent in charge and he wants to see Allison," My brother informed me.

I knew the only way for her to be safe and unafraid was to give her closure. To put this man behind bars. She needed to see him suffer.

"When will he be here?" I ask plainly.

My brother raises his eyebrows. After a moment of shock he begins to nod his head agreeing with me almost.

"Agent Jimmy Conally will be here in an hour or so."

I nod as my eyes return to my fiance. She looks paler than she did minutes ago and I worry she is becoming sick. I calculate the number of hours since she took her last dose of pain medicine and it seems to be the time for her next dose.

I approach her steadily, reaching out to touch her. God! I needed to touch her. It seemed like going minutes without touching her was hell and having her in my arms was heaven.

I cup her beautiful face in my palms but she doesn't look at me.

"Baby, I need to tell you something," I say cautiously.

"Do you believe me?" She asks suddenly.

What did she mean by that? Believe her? When I don't answer, her eyes bolt to mine. Her hands wrap around my wrist and she pulls my hands away from her face.

"You dont believe me. You never believed that there was a man in the woods. I told you that he sicked a dog on me, released the dog to hurt me and you didn't believe me!"

She stands up and begins to storm to the staircase but I get to her first. I pull her arm and get her back into my arms.

"Elsker, what are you talking about?"

I try to remain calm as my sanity becomes more ubstable.

It was true. I didn't believe her at first. There was evidence to suggest otherwise and with she was hysterical when she was attacked.

"Don't! I heard you talking to Johanne months ago about how I dreamt it up. How I hallucinated someone. What was it you called it? Biophilia!"

I felt pain in my chest.

Shit!

I remember that night.

Fuck!

"I was wrong! I shouldn't have said that. I didn't know. I should have believed you and put faith in you but I was... I was terrified of someone else being responsible," I explain. I unloaded the information faster than I could process and I found my words to be true.

"Whats even worse than you not believing me is that I have so much faith and trust in you that I actually doubted myself!"

She pulls her arm away from me and goes up the staircase clutching her bad wrist to her chest.

I feel like the worst person on the planet. I feel like I failed her.

My mistakes are all that are left in my head as I shamefully retreat to find a glass of scotch.