36. Mind over Matter

Mads

Rebecca had texted me that she was worried about me not being her father. She explained her worry of never knowing who is. Rebecca also seemed to be worried of me not wanting anything to do with her. Poor thing.

When I looked up I had expected to see the strawberry blonde beauty that is my wife but instead the aisle was empty.

"Allison?" I call out.

Nothing.

I take in a deep breath. I hurry down the aisle I am in and check the one beside it. Nothing.

"Allison?" I call out.

I clench my jaw. I know exactly what she is doing. She is playing with me. Teasing me. Allison knows just what buttons to push, like wondering off and scaring me.

I pass down a few other aisles before stopping a woman around my age who is looking at a fridge.

"Excuse me? Have you seen a young girl with red hair, shes tall, wearing black pants with a big red sweater?"

The woman giggles. "Yes. My daughter wonders off when shes shopping with me too. They dont like being seen with their parents I guess."

"Shes my wife, actually. Where did she go?"

The woman looks dumbfounded. Opening and closing her mouth like a fish. I half expect her to call me a craddle robber.

"She... um... she passed me on the escalator..."

I thank her before hurrying off, no longer wanting to see the disgust on her face. I go up the escalator and arrive at the second floor.

Just as I wonder through the paneling section my heart seems to stop.

The scream is viscious. Horrified. Fear isolates the scream just as I hear it. I hurry towards the scream knowing exactly who it came from.

I turn the corner to the paint aisle and collide into a small body. Allison shakes horrified as she pushes towards me. I instantly wrap my arms around her and hold her tight as my eyes scan for injury.

"Whats wrong? What happened? What hurts?"

"Hes over there! H-h-e-he is here, we... we need to-"

"Who? Did someone hurt you?" I ask as I move away from her slightly to get a better look at her. She shakes even more, barely able to stand.

"Was it Josh? Is he here?" I ask trying to hold back my anger.

"Troy."

I feel the air being kicked out of my lungs.

"What? Where?"

Allison points down the aisle.

"He was wearing a blue tshirt and jeans, his hair is dyed but its him."

I move down the aisle and my eyes scan the store. I walk down a few more aisles, searching.

He must be running out of this place if he heard her scream.... no... that would only cause more attention. He is smart he wouldn't run immediately after hearing her scream.

I go by the escalator and see a few people going down.

Blue tshirt, jeans, and now red haired.

That son of a bitch!

I sprint down the escalator, pushing people out of the way. Down I go and he knows I know where he is.

Troy switches from a nonchalant walk to a sprint, knowing I am close. I inhale and exhale with anger, my chest heaving as I run down the aisles right behind him.