35. Just For Now

Allison

Our day lounging in bed had been one of the best days of my life. Between the love making and the deep conversations we had, I truly think we are back on track, ready for anything that could hit us next.

That all changed in the morning when Mads had made me breakfast. To make a long story short, Mads explained to me his conversation with Laney about how she can help me, about how distance between us might work. I knew Laney was right and I also knew Mads was struggling with the idea of leaving me behind. As he places our plates at the table, he gives a long sigh. Pancakes, his special recipe of course, sit in front of me. He sits across from me, sitting tall.

"You'll have 24/7 security. Malcolm will check in on you every other day. We can talk on the phone every night. I am always just a phone call away. And if it becomes too much for either of us, we take the boat back," he explains.

He grips his knife tightly as if ready to take his anger out when he cuts the pancakes.

"I'm a little more worried about what will happen to you without me," I say half teasingly.

He doesn't smile or even smirk.

"Kristi will keep me in check. She will make sure I eat, sleep, not smoke. It'll be like a sponsorship although with two very different addictions."

"Smoking and alcohol?"

He shakes his head. "Alcohol for her, you for me."

I giggle. "Really? An addiction? Maybe I'm too much for you to handle... maybe..."

I hear the clink of his fork before he points at me accusingly.

"Don't get any idea of leaving me. This wedding will happen on October 18th and we will live the rest of our lives together," he says almost breathlessly.

I reach over to his hand which still points at me. He loosens his grip and allows me to take his hand in mine and lower it to rest on the table. He gives me an apologetic smile.

"Sorry..." he says shamefull of his outburst.

I smile sweetly at him and run my thumb over his rough knuckles.

"You know... I cannot wait for us to be married. You know I want this just as much as you. Soon we will never leave eachothers side."

He nods. His eyes wonder and then his hand comes over his face, exhausted by all the emotions.

"How long until you leave?" I ask.

He bites his lip painfully and reluctantly answers.

"I am here for today, tomorrow, and then Monday morning I will catch the afternoon boat," its hard for him to get out the answer. He looks like a kid who is reluctant to apologize. I giggle.

"We are not just lounging around having sex for two days, I hope you know that," I say.

He chuckles. "We'll see..."

I grab my napkin from beside my plate and throw it at him.

"Is that all you got, little girl?" He taunts.