Chapter 1

Brianna POV

My mom just passed away about three days ago from a drug overdose. She had been using heavy drugs ever since I can remember. I have been living with my grandma since she passed. But since my grandma is older and not able to take care of me, she decided to finally tell my dad that he has a 12 year old daughter. He seemed to be really excited because he is coming down from Jackson today to pick me up. He lives in Jackson, Mississippi with his 9 sons. Yes. He has 9 sons. I have 9 more brothers.

I have had a hard life y'all. When I was 9, my mom had this boyfriend. He was always mean. He was abusive to my mom, me, and sometimes my older brother. One night, he tried to hurt me and I screamed so my brother came in and tried to help me. He pulled the SOB off of me and started trying to fight him but the bitch pulled a gun on him and shot him right in front of me. He killed my brother right in front of my eyes. My mom didn't do anything because she was strung out and had absolutely no idea what was going on. The SOB who shot my brother never got in trouble for it because my mom never called the police. And I was never able to get help. The boyfriend eventually left my mom for somebody else. I deal with depression especially around like the holidays. I have never had a good Christmas. Honestly, the last time we celebrated Christmas was when I was 8, a year before my brother died. My brother was 17. He didn't deserve to die. He had a bright future but he never made it to see 18 all because he wanted to protect me.

I think about that everyday. That maybe he should have just let him do whatever he was going to do to me and he would still be here living today.

My mama. Shit I think she was just there. She wasn't a mom. She took men's sides over her own kids and even though I think that it was because they sometimes threatened her life, she could have done more to protect us. She could have done more to protect Jaylen from that bitch. She could have protected me from him and I do blame her for some things but some stuff I know was out of her control.

That's enough about my life for now.

My dad should be here soon and I have to do my hair. I already got dressed. I don't really like a lot of the clothes that I have because most of them is really revealing. Like my mom always bought me clothes that showed a lot of skin. But there is one outfit that I have that I do actually like. Because its an actual whole shirt and long pants.

I'm not like those other girls my ave who want to dress like they grown just so they can get some boys attention

I'm not like those other girls my ave who want to dress like they grown just so they can get some boys attention. I don't want no boys attention even though they always be trying to talk to me.

I'm shy around big groups of people, especially people that I don't know.

I walked out into the front room and saw my grandma coming in the door with a man. I'm guessing he's my father.
___________________________________
Hakeem(Dad) POV

When I got the call from Miss Janice, my exes mom, telling me that I have a daughter, I was surprised as hell. But I was also happy cause I always wanted a daughter. I don't know why her mom never told me about her. I just remember her up and leaving me one day and I never heard from her again. And now to know that she dead. That's crazy. But I just got here to pick up my daughter and Miss Janice was sitting out on her front porch.