[22]

Pihu shut the door behind her and walked slowly towards the bed worriedly. Her steps almost halted at seeing the shaking of shoulders.

"Sakshi."

She sat beside her on the bed and put her hand on the shoulder. "Sakshi," she called out worriedly but it only ended up in her sniffling more.

Taking long breaths, Sakshi tried not to weep in front of her sister-in-law but there was no hiding now. She wiped her eyes but tears won't stop. Hearing her Tai ji mentioning the engagement had created a big fear in her mind.

She didn't like the professor enough to marry him but here her family was dreaming about the wedding already. Sakshi was not just worried now, she felt like her life was ruined.

"I am unwanted," she sobbed while holding the edge of the drawer.

Pihu gasped and held her chin, turning her face gently. "Don't say such thing. You know, there is nothing like that. You are our princess. Everyone wants you here. Haven't you seen us whining for you staying here for longer?"

Sakshi shook her head. "Then why talking about wedding, Bhabhi? It's killing me. I don't want it. I. Don't. Want. It."

Pihu stared at her worriedly.

Sniffling slowly, Sakshi shook her head. "Just because I am not under eighteen, doesn't mean that I am mentally ready for such a big thing. That even marrying a stranger," she hiccuped.

Pihu couldn't really watch someone crying. Her own eyes would fill up instantly and that was what happening. She inhaled a large amount of air and breathed slowly. Holding her hand, she made Sakshi turn to her.

Looking into her eyes, she spoke, "Do you even realize, how much we all love you? Whatever you are thinking is wrong. I am not justifying mummy's words but if you think from her side, you will understand that she is just worried."

Sakshi stared at the floor while hiccuping when Pihu smiled sadly. "Your uncle had talked to papa in the wedding last month. They were mentioning that they have got proposals from good families and would love to have one of the guy being hitched with you."

Sakshi looked at her with her face describing her shock. "What?"

Pihu nodded. "But mummy could never be satisfied if she hasn't overviewed the family, their standards by herself. So, before your uncle starts mentioning it again, she is putting her own efforts. At least, she will be satisfied for life that she has sent you to a great family."

Sakshi shook her head restlessly. "It's not about family. For me, it's about the person I am getting married to. That professor-"

Sakshi halted her tongue, her eyes stoning on Pihu as she thought sharing all the happenings with her. But how would this look to her. No matter how much they cared for each other, Sakshi knew that Pihu would sincerely follow orthodoxy thoughts of elders. She had this quality of analysing their view and then supporting them. She would herself think like an elder.

But Sakshi had to shot an arrow in all these arrangements to stop this nuisance right here. She didn't want to leave for Delhi while still worrying that if behind her back, they were setting dates of her engagement or wedding.

Anything that could spoil her Tai ji's plan, Sakshi thought hard of it. She knew that whatever they wanted to do, was for her good. But she couldn't just marry a stranger. She had seen Pihu suffering much in her early months of marriage. She had noticed how stressed she used to be.

Now, she loved her brother and had a beautiful kid. But what about her dreams and ambitions. She couldn't put the same dedication in reaching those ambitions now which she used to dream about before.