[42] Another Chance

A great day could happen only to great people.

The people who were surrounding him. The judge who finally dismissed the case today. The lawyer who fought tooth and nail for his sake. The witnesses whom he had never thought could be the kindest souls.

His father who was there trying to hide his tears the most he could. His mother who couldn't stop weeping when the judge's decision had echoed through the whole court. Getting out, Rishabh was no less when he covered his younger brother from the media only to hide him from the aftermath of such an important decision that came out.

Shrey was out of the court but the voices wasn't leaving his mind.

Please be seated. Today's case is that of Mr. Shrey Malhotra, accused of committing a rape attempt with his friend, Mr. Vikas Kaushik's wife, Myra Kaushik.

"Get away, please." Rishabh was continuously yelling at the reporters, covered him with the help of the lawyer and his Uncle. "We will answer all the questions later. Please."

Shrey couldn't understand this environment. Five years back when he was studying management abroad, all he has this big dream in his mind. To own a successful firm, to make his parents proud.

Never had he thought, he would be taking rounds of the court, dealing with lawyers and the accusations, hiding away from media.

Does the prosecution wish to call any witnesses?

"Get in the car," his father yelled from behind. He could feel Rishabh's hand on his back. "Shrey, hurry up."

They helped with his mother too, getting her sobbing form in the car. And within the moment, the car doors were shut, just like the day.

The prosecution calls Mr. Faizal to the witness stage.

He breathed harshly, blinking slowly as the car started moving backwards away to make a way towards the gates. His heartbeats weren't calming down. They were as fast as the happenings around. It all was going in a blur, except for the voices.

Two weeks before the day of the case, Shrey had mentioned his dilemma of asking for his own money back from our colleague, Vikas Kaushik.

Shrey gulped slowly, blinking at the driver who gritted his teeth while concentrating on taking the car out of the media's reach.

He had mentioned about lending one crore to Vikas for helping him in taking back his ancestral home. It was more than six months and Shrey didn't know how to be polite anymore. Yet he tried his best for the sake of his friend.

"Take the turn direct to home," his father ordered the driver who nodded immediately. His father handed him the bottle. "Water?"

Shrey took it hesitantly, not even realising if he had been thirsty all along. He had spoken less in the trial but everything true and required.

The prosecution calls the suspect's cousin brother, Mr. Rishabh Malhotra to the witness stand.

"Where is Rishabh?" He asked his mother while slowly taking a gulp of water.

His father cleared his throat. "Formalities. He will be home within an hour. He is there to take care if everything's fine. Do not think much, son. Rest."

A quirky smile appeared on his lips. Rest? How could he rest at this moment? His life was to change.

According to the reports from the bank, Mr. Malhotra's account has been continuously used, there are transactions directly debiting to the pubs and bars since last two months. Despite Mr. Malhotra's anxiety attacks' medication.