[26]

Again she had a stupid reason for not replying to him on the spot. She was in the class and thankfully, it was the last one. A new understanding settled in his mind, how time had passed and Sakshi had even completed her graduation.

It was different for him to take in her as the new adult. Yet it was all so familiar with the way she called back to schedule the date.

Date? He didn't know what it was. They had never been friends that now they were meeting years after. They had a past, not a good one, not a memorable one but they had it together.

This was the only reason that Sakshi hadn't refused to meet him. He didn't know if she still loved him. By her forwardness and casual behavior, he could tell that she must had moved on years ago.

But as the good person she was, she didn't hesitate to show up in his bad phase of life. Maybe, she was understanding that he needed her company. Shrey couldn't guess more. What if she was just curious to know how he could get involved in such a case?

He didn't know. He couldn't guess. He was just waiting at this cafe she had chosen in the market complex nearest to her college. He couldn't care about the place, instead was glad that he was away from posh areas and won't be recognized. This area was full of students and no one cared to look at his face.

Except for the waitress who had approached him twice. He had denied and told her to wait until Sakshi comes in. He was nervous and slightly scared to be disappointed. Of course, she would ask him about what happened. Maybe, not. But he wanted to share this with her. She deserved it.

He wanted to thank for writing those words and making him feel loved. At least someone had trust in his nature and knew, he couldn't commit a crime like this. He couldn't wait to pour his heart out to her. But would she listen it all heartily? He didn't know.

It was more than ten minutes and he kept waiting, thinking how tables had turned. He was excited secretly, wanting to observe the change in her. Would she be the typical Delhi girl or more than that? Or maybe she still hadn't forgotten her roots? He didn't know. He would ask all of it. Slowly.

He would take all the time. His heart kept reminding him how the world was busy. No one had the time to care for a stranger dying, or worst an enemy. He was sure, her brother wasn't aware of her contact with him.

A smile curved his lips as he remembered the photos he had seen. She looked wonderful in ethnic, happy with all of her family members. Should he compliment her at seeing her? Would it look less-serious of him? She might get the wrong idea.

He sighed. Tapping his fingertips on the table, he kept checking the phone until faint footsteps caught his attention. He had chosen the little booth in the corner that had little walls around it. He had thanked her mentally for choosing this cafe. The interior was to his advantage.

He couldn't just speak out the explanation behind that false-rape charge so openly. His eyes closed as he took a long breathe.

Calm down, Shrey! Breathe.

He slowly looked upwards at the black boots approaching him, blue denim being paired to a lemon-yellow top. Raven waves blew along her walk and he smiled at the aura she had. So positive, with that wide yet nervous smile of hers.

His heart was beating faster and he only realized when the whole face of his had warmed up. He couldn't realize when did he even get up and leaned in for a shake of hand and a brief hug.

"Hey," she had said out nervously, still looking cheerful as ever.

The heartbroken Sakshi he had left there in Chandigarh had grown. He sighed in excitement. He couldn't speak out a single word but managed to gesture her to sit beside him, slightly diagonal so they were not too close, nor too far.