[47] More Than Myself

Raghav smiled forcefully at his mother who couldn't stop praising Kabir's looks as Mrs. Bhatia sipped more of the tea. Pihu gulped and kept looking at her husband nervously, who looked like he would get up with flipping the table in anger.

"I know. I know. It's quite time consuming coming all the way from South to here again and again. Same goes for Kabir too. He wouldn't be able to go from here to meet his parents regularly," Raghav's mother chirped.

Mrs. Bhatia giggled, "Kabir has studied here, lived here for most of his life. Which is why he is more like us. But he is as passionate and intelligent as south Indians are. We love his religiousness."

Raghav's mother widened her eyes, "Oh, I remember. In early months of my marriage, we had a trip to Kerala. Such a beautiful place. Temples are so beautiful and the nature around."

Raghav cleared his throat suddenly, glaring at his mother from the corner of his eyes. "So, what did Kabir say this time?"

Mrs. Bhatia gave an apologetic smile. "Forgive me for getting off the topic. Actually, Kabir called last night telling us that Sakshi has given him approval. She is very shy about discussing it all with family and had denied him to share it with anyone else. She just wanted sometime to collect up courage. But the thing is, Kabir doesn't want to keep a relationship without all of us knowing."

Pihu's lips parted as she suddenly observed Raghav's anger fading. His mind taking in Kabir's thinking.

Mrs. Bhatia further told, "Mihir called me too saying, Kabir seems quite hesitant these days because the fear of the University staff. And why won't he be? It looks forbidden and can attack Kabir's dignity if anyone finds out what's going on in between their families."

Raghav swallowed his anger as he started to understand all the reasons Kabir had given. "He is right."

His mother's eyes lit up immediately. "Well, he is so thoughtful, I never knew. It's a good thing he told us before passing any days."

Pihu's heart shrank as she heard Raghav saying, "I must ask Sakshi about this. We still can't take a step ahead without her words in my ear. I need to know. . ."

Mrs. Bhatia immediately said, "No. This would break her trust on Kabir. He told me to protect his and Sakshi's dignity, not to betray her. We need to respect that. Sakshi is not yet courageous enough to accept the relation. She might deny it in shyness."

"She isn't like that," Pihu managed to cut her off.

Immediately, she found her mother-in-law's eyes on her. The blood drained off her face as she realized, she had never gotten a look of disappointment like that. Pihu lowered her eyes.

Raghav sighed heavily. "So, what should we do now? What needs to be done? What has he told you?"

Mrs. Bhatia and his mother exchanged a smile. "We can meet his parents for a start," told his mother.

Raghav looked at Pihu whose face was all red. He had understood that she wasn't happy but now when, Sakshi was involved in this. He couldn't really deny.

"Okay. Let's invite them for a family dinner."

_______

"That's impossible."

Aditi blinked rapidly, giving Sakshi an apologetic smile. "Please, can't you be a little polite. It's been days since Aarush and I went on a date."

"But we planned a girl's night. Aditi, I need you more than him, tonight." Sakshi crossed her arms, fake glaring at her.

Aarush chuckled and gave them a goofy smile.