~22~

I woke up to find myself in bed. Wait... this was my bed, as in the one from back home. 

I stood up abruptly. Too abruptly it seemed as my head felt a bit dizzy. I blinked the stars away. I walked into the living room and saw Jack sitting on the couch.

I pursued my lips and was about to turn around when he said,

"Wait."

"How did you find me?" I asked him.

"Eben is a loyal friend, how do you think I wouldn't have found you?" 

I rolled my eyes.

"Look, I know what I did was wrong, but I've never been in love before, not like this. And I know you're in love with Zach and this is no excuse, but sometimes our actions take over before we even realize what we're doing. Again I know that's no excuse for what I did but I don't want to be your enemy Jess. Please."

I think about this for awhile, but then curiosity fills me, "so if all this was real, and I DID run away, what happened to me drowning?" 

Jack sighs and leans forward, "that dude Noah, he was untrustworthy. I don't know his intentions but they weren't good. I had decided to find you and the girl at the entrance told me your apartment number. I came up to hear splashing in the bathtub and Noah was drowning you."

My head was buzzing, "What?" I choked out.

How come everyone I trust betrays me.

"I'm sorry."

"No don't be, that wasn't your fault, thank you for saving me."

He smiled and knew what I was trying to say by that. An apology. 

Just then Zach came into the room and hugged me, "I was so worried about you." 

I glanced towards Jack who looked as calm as ever. I looked back at Zach with a commanding tone in my eyes. He seemed to know what it meant.

"I'll meet you outside."

As he walked out I turned to Jack and I hugged him, "you'll find your dream girl," I wispered in his ear, "I'll make sure of it."

We let go and I walked outside to find Zach with a bundle of roses in his hand. He stood up as soon as he saw me.

"Look, I've waited forever and I just have to ask. Will you be my girlfriend?"

I smiled so big it probably looked goofy on my small face, "YES!!!" I exclaimed.

Suddenly, Daniel popped out of the bushes, "you better treat her well or I'll see to it the police will never find your body."

Zach looked scared, "um... okay."

Daniel seemed to like that answer and shimmied back into the bushes. Then, deciding to change his mind, hopped out and walked inside.

I looked back at Zach and was about to talk when he sweeped me into a passionate kiss. 

"Everything's going to be okay," he whispered.

Noah's POV

"You failed."

I bit the inside of my cheek, my jaw tensing at the phrase I was so new too.

"It wasn't my fault. Some dude came in and interrupted me. He then took her away after he knocked me unconscious."

"Well, as security measures, you know what's going to happen next."

My eyes grew wide, "bu-but, it wasn't my fault! I'm your best asset! Without me your whole company would fail!"

"You think my company revolves around you? Oh Noah, you're so wrong. There are many more just like you. Take him away." 

He turned around, not even watching me as his guards, my partners, dragged me away. The brand of a fool. Which I now was.

I followed along lifeless as the guards strong grip caused his fingernails to dig into my skin, making it become raw but not quite bleeding. 

I watched as we passed the cells of all my former missions, all the ones I had completed. They all watched me as I walked by. The guard stopped at one of the cells. I glanced up and my heart broke.

"Would you care to do the honors on Secrecy Day?" The guard asked her.

"Me?? Kill him?? What do you think, am I a fool?! Of course I would do the honors!" Shakira said. 

I winced.

"I know you had to Noah, but I feel betrayed. Look at me now, would you ever want this fate for anyone? Really? Or would you risk your life to help save them. Trafficking is not a business to joke around about."

I hung my head in regret, "I'm sorry, I love you still."

The guard shifted uncomfortably next to me. I just broke a rule. Again. Number 226 on page 52, Never have a relationship with a mission. 

"Noah, will you ever learn?" Shakira shook her head, "I myself just want to live. Freely. And because of you I can't. See you on Secrecy Day!"