Chapter 21- Crime and Punishment

Authors Note- Please comment, you guys! I want to know what you think!

JANG POV

After that delightful conversation with Odin, I fumed back to my to my room and somehow managed to fall into a fitful sleep.

I was woken by a servant girl named Alaline in the morning. Out of all of the palace staff, she was the kindest to me. The others would tolerate me but at the same time, they were scared of me. I didn't really blame them.

I was wearing a royal blue dress with golden lace trimmings all over. It was beautiful, no doubt, but it didn't suit me.

I slipped on my sandals when I heard my door open. And in stepped in the queen herself, Frigga.

Alaline curtsied right away. "Your Majesty."

Frigga nodded to her. "You are dismissed, Alaline." She said in a kind voice.

"Yes ma'am." She quickly left the room, leaving me in a state of panic. I was in a room by myself with the queen of Asgard.

Joy.

"Your Magesty." I said, deciding to follow Alaline's example.

"Oh no, no dear. Call me Frigga."

"Very well. How may I be of assistance?" I asked.

"Well, Jang, I actually came to warn you. I got word of what happened last night." She started.

I winced. This could not be good.

"I wished to tell you that Odin is in a very foul mood. This is not the time to test him, child. Do you understand?" She said in a motherly, caring voice.

I nodded.

"Good. We should be off then, the trial will start anytime now.

The two of us walked to the throne room, lost in our own thoughts. We opened the two heavy double doors and walked in. I looked down to avoid Odin's glare.

As much as I hated it, Frigga was right. This was not the time to test him.

A few moments later, Odin banged his staff on the floor. The doors opened and in sauntered Loki. The sounds of his chains rang out into the room. He was being escorted by five royal guards and was chained like an animal. He had a large clamp around his neck, with chains connecting to another set on his wrists and yet another on his ankles.

He approached us and looked at me with concern.

"Loki." Frigga said, her voice strained at the sight of her son being treated as a criminal.

Loki's look of concern quickly changed to one of disinterest. He had a hint of a smirk dancing on his lips.

"Hello mother." He said, his voice betraying no emotion. "Have I made you proud?" He mocked.

I gave a small shake of my head, warning him not to do this now.

"Please," Frigga pleaded. "Don't make this worse."

"Define worse."

I sighed. This was not going to go well. I was going to say something when Odin's voice rang out.

"Enough!" He cried. "I will speak to the prisoner alone."

I felt anger rush through me when I heard him call Loki 'the prisoner.'

Frigga walked out of the throne room reluctantly but I just stood where I was. I had no intention of leaving now.

Odin looked at me expectantly but I just stood where I was, my emotions hidden far away.

He just ignored me and turned to Loki, knowing it was pointless to try and get me to leave.

Loki just laughed as if nothing was bothering him. "I really don't see what all the fuss is about." He confessed.

"Do you truly not feel the gravity of your crimes?" Odin questioned. "Where ever you go there is war, ruin and death." A tad dramatic if you ask me.

Loki seemed to consider this before answering. "I attempted and succeeded, in saving my love. I went down down to Midgard to rule the people of Earth as a benevolent God. Just like you."

"We are not Gods. We are born, we live, we die. Just as humans do." Odin said.

I resisted the urge to lash out at him with a sarcastic comment. If he was not a god, why did he always act like much better than those around him? Why did he act like selfish, idiotic god, at that?

Loki shrugged. "Give or take 5000 years." I smiled a little at this.

"All this because Loki desired... a throne."

Oh, that struck a nerve with him. I could see him trying to contain his anger. "It is my birthright." He growled.

"Your birthright, was to die! As a child. Cast out onto a frozen rock. If I had not taken you in you would not be here now to hate me." Odin lashed out.

I was seething now. This man had once been devastated that Loki hadn't considered him his father. And now he was telling him that he should have died.

I was the black slowly creeping up my arms and I took a deep breath, desperately trying to calm down. I couldn't afford to lose my temper now.

Loki stepped towards Odin, causing the chains to rattle. "If I'm for the axe then for Mercy's sake, just swing it. It's not that I don't love our little talks it's just...I don't love them."

"Frigga is the only reason you're still alive, and you'll never see her again. You'll spend the rest of your days in the dungeon."

Oh, so I had no opinion now. Thanks Odin.

"What of Jang? And what of Thor? You'll make that witless oaf King while I rot in chains?" Loki snarled.

"Thor must strive to undo the damage you have done. He'll bring order to the nine realms and then, yes, he will be King."

Loki nodded to me. "What about Jang?"

"Her input has no meaning. She does not belong here. She will be sent back to Midgard as soon as possible." He said indifferently.

"No." I finally spoke. I didn't yell, but my voice had a powerful undertone.

"No?" Odin repeated.

"Don't bother wasting your guards and dungeon cell for Loki. Send him to Midgard with me for however long. Take most of his powers. I will watch over him." I said, my voice like steel.

Odin scoffed. "Ridiculous. I will allow no such thing."

"In traditional Asgardian trials, the prisoner is given a choice between two punishments, is he not?" I countered.

"Well, yes but given the situation,"

"But nothing. You can either send him to the dungeons or you can strip him of most of his powers and send him with me. If you choose the second one, we will both begone within 5 days time. It's your choice."

And with that I turned and left the throne room.

Outside, worry started to run through me. What had I just done?

We could both be hanged for defying the throne.

I could have just saved both Loki and me from a horrible fate, or I could have just sealed it.